Sugar Glider Baby

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDWest

Reaction score
The wee one came out of pouch Dec 29th. It had been hanging onto mom's stomach. It looked so cute while mom leaped and played with the little hitch hiker. Last night Mom and dad left baby in the nest so they could get a break to eat and play. So, i finally got to handle it for a couple minutes! Soooo cute! :lovers: My oldest son almost teared up from the cutness overload. I think it's a girl and will double check tonight.
Here are a few pictures (Sorry for the poor quality. Room light was dim and the cutie wouldn't hold still long enough for my cell cam to focus).

They can have up to four babies...but that is more rare. They have four teats in their pouch. She had twins last time and her first time was a single.
They are really neat! They can have babies at different stages of development in their pouch. They have two uteruses and two vaginas. They give birth after 16 days in the uterus after a temperary birth canal forms for them. They are about the size of a grain of rice and crawl up into the pouch after birth along a saliva path the mother has licked. They develop in the pouch for the next 2 months, and must stay with mom once out of pouch for another two. The dad also helps alot to raise them.
My guys are very bonded and good parents.

Awww Sooooo cute! Love sugargliders!! Congratulations on the new lil cutie. :)

JDWest":3dpd7eew said:
They can have babies at different stages of development in their pouch.

Really? How come the itty bitty rice-fetuses don't get squished by their older siblings?

JDWest":3dpd7eew said:
They have two uteruses and two vaginas.

:shock: Now that is just too bizarre. Why in the world do they need two? Are they so heavily preyed upon that they need to be popping out babies constantly?

:thinking: Just think what this could do for rabbit production! :p :p :p

:twisted: :twisted: *Dons mad scientist hat and starts gene splicing Sugar Glider DNA into rabbit ovum while cackling maniacally* :twisted: :twisted:

When iddy biddy finds the nipple it latches on and tge teat swell in its mouth locking it in place. If it gets knocked from the teat it usually dies as it cant latch back onto to the swollen ball.

Bwahahahaha MSD! I like the way you think! *twisting my mustachio most evily*

MamaSheepdog":3tas04qy said:
:thinking: Just think what this could do for rabbit production! :p :p :p

Just think of the possibilities.
mad_scientist.gif

paradox":6bzxcdd4 said:
MamaSheepdog":6bzxcdd4 said:
JDWest":6bzxcdd4 said:
:shock: Now that is just too bizarre. Why in the world do they need two?

The male's penis is bifurcated (divided in two) also.

I know. It wasn't a question I wanted to ask :oops: , so I googled SG reproduction, and found that astonishing factoid.

But still... why two reproductive organs, male or female? Especially if the female only uses one uterus at a time?

I don't know. Anyone have the answer? I know they are considered a pest in their home land, getting into garbage and such.

__________ Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:20 pm __________

Found this...

Reproduction

Sugar glider reproduction is a mind-boggling thing, as it is with most marsupials. Males have a bifurcated penis, enabling one male to fertilize a female's bisected uterus. This leads to a range of strange abilities, including the possibility that a female has two joeys of different ages developing within the womb concurrently. The pouch contains four teats, though gliders usually give birth to twins or singles. There are rare cases of triplets, but it is rare that all three joeys survive to reach adulthood.

__________ Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:27 pm __________

I just ignore the back end, :x and concentrate on how cute their front end is. :p :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here she is now. She got big fast. She likes to curl up in your hand and pop her head out. She has taken a fancy to my son, riding on his shoulder.

Latest posts

Back