Sudden Teeth Grinding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
I noticed my French Angora doe grinding her teeth a few minutes ago when I went to feed her. It is quite noticeable. She is behaving normally and she ate just fine. She likes to be petted and when I did she acted normally. She had babies 5 days ago. I now grinding teeth can be a sign of pain. Can it be something else? Not sure what to do as she is showing no other signs of problems. Putting her down is not an option due to the new babies.

Loud teeth grinding in rabbits - especially when accompanied by hunched posture or disinclination to normal activity - certainly can indicate pain. But there is another kind of teeth grinding, a softer, lighter sound, that rabbits sometimes make when they are very contented. It sometimes is accompanied by half-closed eyes.

I cannot say for sure which it is in your rabbit's case, but if she seems otherwise normal and is eating, drinking, pooping, caring for the kits etc. I'd be inclined to think it is the contentment grinding. Keep a close eye on her though! :clover:

I also believe that grinding can be a sign of fear. I have a buck who is not used to be handled and does not like to be handled. He occasionally grinds his teeth while I'm holding him or posing him. I don't think it's because he's happy, and I see no reason why he would be in pain.

Latest posts

Back