Sucked up water in her nose

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
Had a doe drinking out of a shallow bowl of water tonight and of course, she manages to find a water to suck it up her nose.

She had a good fit of gasping and sneezing it out. She's now intermittently doing a lighter sneeze. I offered her a tiny piece of banana peel and she went for her pellets on her own.

Can I stop worrying about her or is it a death sentence that she possibly aspirated water into her lungs? However she managed it, it couldn't be much because I only had a splash in the bowl.

:sigh:

I have one doe that snorts water up her nose every morning when she gets fresh water. I don't think I've ever seen her NOT do it in the mornings. Her mother did it too, but only if she ran out of water. Both rabbits are perfectly healthy. I wouldn't worry unless your doe is a young kit, typically the older ones don't actually get the water all the way to their lungs, or so my assumption is since mine havent drowned yet.

PSFAngoras":39hm16h0 said:
wouldn't worry unless your doe is a young kit, typically the older ones don't actually get the water all the way to their lungs, or so my assumption is since mine havent drowned yet.

thank you! she's around 4-5 months, almost senior size. I just have never seen a coughing/sneeze fit like this after water. Most of my rabbits have bottles but I ran out. She did this a bit last night too but not to this extent. I guess I need to find her a bottle asap.

I don't know if this would help or not, but there is this kind of Heimlich maneuver people do if bunnies choke on food or if a bottle fed baby bunny chokes etc... Its described here and theres a little video http://vgr1.com/choking/
Even if its too late to do the manoeuvre its an good thing to know about.

Latest posts

Back