Successfully shrink bagged bunny!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsmoak

Reaction score
I've been trying to work out freezer packaging for the rabbits. The chickens fit just perfectly in purpose-made shrink bags from http://poultryshrinkbags.blogspot.com/ but the rabbits have that annoying hollow spot in the center when you fold them up.

I looked for longer, thinner bags, and Cornerstone Farm could probably order some if I could figure out what I wanted.

I've also tried Foodsaver vacuum bags, but they *always* get punctured.

Then I got the bright idea to put *two* rabbits in the chicken bag. It seems to work best if the first goes in with its back along the bottom of the bag, legs sticking up, and the second goes in facing the same way but with its back up towards the top of the bag. The head end of the second fits in the belly area of the first, and the back legs mesh together.

Try to keep the pointy bits away from the edge of the bag, but the bags are pretty strong, and if they get punctured after shrinking, they won't re-inflate the way vacuum bags do. If you have a consistent problem, I believe Cornerstone sells some pads you can use to protect the bag.

... and so, bag of bunny: 130425_7575.jpg

I followed the photo tutorial at the first link. One of my large stock pots has a steamer basket as shown towards the bottom of the page, and I use a clothespin to hold the gathered top of the bag up to the edge of the basket so it doesn't fill with water, then firmly hold the full part of the bag down against the basket with bbq tongs while dunking it. I might try using my egg basket next time, I just saw that in the photos.

-Wendy

well done. I say what ever, and how ever, as long as it works.
the Bag-O-Bunny looks good.

I found that if I'm really careful when I take the feet off the rabbit, I don't get bone fragments. That's what usually gets me when using my foodsaver. I cut the tendons all around leg near the joint and then use a kind of sideways snapping motion. The joint breaks apart and the tips of the bone stay intact and rounded. It takes an extra minute, but I'm usually not doing more than 6 or 7 at a time.

nicnmike":1cei87iw said:
I found that if I'm really careful when I take the feet off the rabbit, I don't get bone fragments. That's what usually gets me when using my foodsaver. I cut the tendons all around leg near the joint and then use a kind of sideways snapping motion. The joint breaks apart and the tips of the bone stay intact and rounded. It takes an extra minute, but I'm usually not doing more than 6 or 7 at a time.
I was cutting the paws off with shears until MSD mentioned doing this. This is how we remove the feet now, and it is much easier on the bags, for sure!

I do snap the hind feet sideways and cut the tendons, but the front paws and neck are problem areas. I use a pellet gun, but suppose I could 'broomstick' them afterwards to dislocate the neck without sharp edges.

What do you do with the front paws?

-Wendy

wsmoak":z6nh00lc said:
suppose I could 'broomstick' them afterwards to dislocate the neck without sharp edges.

That is a good idea. :)

I have started doing something similar when they are hung for skinning- I pull down on the head so I can cut it off with my filleting knife. Sometimes I don't pull hard enough in which case I cut through the vertebrae with a pair of pruning shears.

wsmoak":z6nh00lc said:
What do you do with the front paws?

The front paws are super easy! :p Flex the leg so you know where the joint is and slice around it so you cut the skin and tendons. Then just grasp the leg with one hand and twist and pull the paw off with the other.

MamaSheepdog":3a0p16ta said:
The front paws are super easy! :p Flex the leg so you know where the joint is and slice around it so you cut the skin and tendons. Then just grasp the leg with one hand and twist and pull the paw off with the other.
I do something similar, but once I twist the paw, I then finish cutting the tendons.

For the head, I pull down on it as I cut through the neck, working the knife to find a route between bones. I will make cuts from all sides, to make it easier to space the vertebrae when I pull down.

__________ Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:18 pm __________

I wonder if these: http://www.dougcare.com/packsupplies/zipper.htm

would work with this: http://pump-n-seal.com/ (which I just bought)

and an iron, to seal the edges.<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 pm __________<br /><br />I just need something that can hold a vacuum and be sealed without a FoodSaver.

Back