Stumped on this Mini Lop's color!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So this is the only baby that has had me stumped in a while!

1560689_788291767864670_777577010_n.jpg

1512627_788293317864515_1174276071_n.jpg

1491594_788291711198009_603801972_n.jpg

He's in the house tonight with the other babies cause the temperature is dropping so much, but he's a oober sweet singleton with a bonus of super promising already as a baby :)

I thought he was a Blue Steel at first, but nope! Friend mentioned frosty but hmmm... Mini Lops are bred for type before color, so these guys literally have shaded, dilutes,selfs,wideband, ticked,agoutis in their backgrounds. I didn't see frosty but who knows what is beyond the pedigree. I know the breeder has weird things crop up now and then in her line ex. Silver Fox

Parents were Sire: Blue (out of Black Tort x Sable Steel) X Dam:BKN Black (out of Chestnut x BKN Chestnut)

My first instinct was blue steel, then I read the text of the post. Next guess was chinchilla, but that doesn't seem right, either. I don't think frosty, but I could very well be wrong.

Whatever he is, I love his head! I think what I like most about the minis is the type before color thing.

I will certainly be keeping tabs with him over time.

He's a hoot. His brother was a BKN Black, but he escaped the nesting box too many times and lost on the battle for milk with his brother. He binkies around constantly (bumping into his mothers butt and tumbling over lol) , learned from his mother to throw the watering crock at me in the morning for water, and now as he is in the box for the night, he lays before the hay and eats it since actually standing up and eating is overrated. :roll:

How old? Sable based colors all start out odd. At around 4-6weeks they start to change color which can take months to reach the final shade. That applies to sable/light chinchilla based frosties too. They will lighten, darken, gain brown, lose brown... all depending on the exact set of genes they have with the sable.

He is about 5 weeks now, so he still has more changing to do. I've had a small handful of blue steels born before but this guy has looked interesting since he furred out some

I would say steel chinchilla but the parents are self so no agouti gene however you say his blue sire had a sable steel parent - how did you know? Steel is not visable in selfs and a sable steel would be .... aa B_ cchl D_ Es_

Perhaps the sable steel was a shaded agouti steel instead :shrug: and the self blue is a blue agouti steel and this guy is a steel chinchilla :D

A lot of what if's but otherwise I'm stumped.

Latest posts

Back