Stressy rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
so I have some stressy rabbits....they are hating me coming into the rabbitry five times a day to knock the roof (gently so I don't put holes through it) to get the constantly falling snow off it.

some of them totally freak out....
I've got two refusing pellets - but they'll eat hay.
and one baby with entropathic issues.... daughter of a buck who I get worried will break his back he freaks so badly.

at least two more days of this they say....
will we survive it????

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I try to think of it on the positive side though...it teaches me who can handle stress and huge changes in their routines. Right now I'm not thinking positive, I'm thinking a bit worried....

AND I've had some surprises... rabbits that I expected to have issues haven't had a one. Go figure....

I learned who didn't like change the day I went into the rabbitry with my Trapper's Hat instead of a normal toque.

The poor girl went crazy and actually screamed while running in circles (which I find highly alarming for a Mini Rex). That was the only incident I've had thus far.

Sorry to hear about the trouble- maybe they will start desensitizing to it soon (hopefully). We had a doe that was a total spaz whenever someone would open the door to go past the rabbits. She is calm now and does great although she used to do the bunny blender when she heard is coming. :x

Also, Devon, I don't mean to laugh at "the hat incident," but that is crazy how she reacted, lol!

Lauren

Poor stressed out buns... as winter truly sets in lets hope they get accustomed to the knocking cause Im sure it wont be last they will have to deal with it.

HendricksHearth":2by06ffv said:
Also, Devon, I don't mean to laugh at "the hat incident," but that is crazy how she reacted, lol!

Lauren

:lol: I think I stood there staring completely dumbfounded for a good minute since she was one of the last ones I would expect to do that. Then again if I was a rabbit and someone came in with a dead rabbit on their head I may just run in circles screaming too.

Here are a few suggestions:
Speak to your rabbits as you are approaching.
In soft tones of voice just let them know that it is
you and not anything that wants to harm them.
Try leaving a radio or CD playing in the rabbitry,
this will get them used to hearing ODD noises.
Even your own Dog when seeing you in unfamiliar clothing
will question just exactly "who is that approaching me"!
Eventually your herd or at least most members
should/will become Bomb proof!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Yes it is best to wear the same thing in the rabbitry, but I think Devon forgot what hat she had on! I don't think there was anything to prepare Ladysown's bunnies for that amount of snow!!!! That was just freaky! way more than we got. Rabbits are very smart and know right away when something is different, and there is only so much one can get them acclimatized to. :)

All I can recommended is to try to get them used to changes before big things like this happen. I dont usually wear the same stuff into the rabbitry. Im starting to more now because its winter though.

I also have a radio constantly going in the rabbitry. I find it makes things go a little bit more smoothly.

Ive had a few rabbits not wanting to eat their pellets too, but eating their hay and sweet feed. Everything is back to normal now though.

LoL yes the first time i walked into the barn in full winter ware my rabbits flipped out. Running around the cages thumping there foot. As soon as i said Calm down its just me they stopped. There like o thats the person that feeds us not a big blue bear lol. It amazes me how smart they are and how they notice the smallest changes.

I would suggest a little hemp leaf in your hay..... but I guess they might send the mounties after me :p

Shara":r9x4wt27 said:
Hahaha, I have read somewhere that hemp used to be fed to livestock (not the bud, though, lol)

I used to feed hemp seed to my show pigeons before a show. It would make them perk right up in the show pen. :D One used to be able to buy it at a pigeon feed supply house (don't know if one still can) It was seed from "fiber" plants not those bred for Cannabis, and it was also "denatured" so it couldn't sprout.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/hemp-s ... 13745.html

Devon's Mom Lauren":34mbwgcf said:
There is a hemp farm not far from here. You can roll a doobie the size of a telephone pole and still not get a buzz... :) :) :)

Oh man, my sides hurt from laughing so hard at that visual. Thanks for the giggles!

Back