Strange Penis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Today I was breeding a trio of does, and while I was watching each pair, I was also doing weights and nail trims on other rabbits. I was also evaluating bucks on the lid of our camp stove to. When I set one buck down, as he moved around I noticed he was leaving wet spots on the metal. I picked him up and flipped him, and he had a full erection, with a filament of flesh connecting from near the head of the penis to the base, causing his penis to bend in a U shape. Naturally, I had to take pictures and share them. :mrgreen:

By the time I and Queenpup got the camera, the erection had mostly subsided, but you can still see what I am talking about:

IMG_4528.JPG
IMG_4536.JPG

When the penis is straight, the filament lies next to the skin:

IMG_4530.JPG

I have bred this buck to multiple does, and yes, I do check their penis before breeding... but I only evert the penis a short way- maybe a third of an inch or so, to check if it appears disease free. I never would have known he had a problem. :shock:

He has quite a few healthy litters on the ground right now, by the way. The first time I bred him was when OAF was visiting. Some of the kits might be big enough to check for this same problem, which will be next on my agenda!

I think from now on I will try to get the penis to extend as far as possible, at least during the initial evaluation of a buck's "parts".

I am tempted to run out and check all of my bucks a bit closer. I know there are no split penis problems but this on the other hand I am not to sure on.

I found another one. :x

A little history- I started with 2 bucks and two does. I decided to breed both to the same buck (Black Floyd) the first time, and was planning on breeding to the other the second breeding. Well, "Ammo" died for no apparent reason before I could use him. So all of the rabbits in my herd come from one buck line.

The buck I took the photos of is out of Black Floyd and one of my original does, Poppy. The second buck is out of a Poppy daughter and a son of my other doe, Feather. I have no bucks from Feather's line currently, so couldn't check if hers have problems too.

I still have bucks to check in the growout pens to see if there are any others. For now, I am leaning toward Poppy being the link. The problem is, Poppy and her daughters have been the most productive- out of all my does I only have 3 or 4 out of Feather, and no bucks as I said. My whole barn is Poppy heavy. :x

I am going to email the breeder and ask if she has seen this before, and if it is a variation of split penis. I guess when we finally meet up again, I will need not only another buck, but another doe line as well.

Are you breeding mostly for your own meat? Or are you selling show/breeding stock?

That really sucks. :( I am sending 1/3 of my rabbits to FC tomorrow. Non producing bunz.

I breed primarily for meat, but am interested in showing as well. I've sold to several people, and OAF has a pair too. Skymya is the only one who has shown an interest in showing. These rabbits come from a rabbit show judge who has been breeding for 25 years, judging for 15. Other than a couple issues, they have been great rabbits, and a pleasure to own.

Hmmm I would contact her and see what she thinks of the issue. Cant hurt to ask. Is anyone who bought bunz from you having issues? This really sucks. :(

tm_bunnyloft":217dutv9 said:
Is anyone who bought bunz from you having issues?

Not that I know of- but it hasn't been that long. I only started raising in April of last year, and didn't sell any until earlier this year.

I don't think its to big of a deal if it was I think he not be able to get the doe. You think you can cut it?

I would definitly replace the buck with new lines. And Start to weed out the does lines in your herd as you raise replacements. But first talk to the breeder and get her opinion on it. Maybe its not as bad a thing as we think. Never know!!

I sent her an email. :) I'll be gone until the evening tomorrow, but as soon as I have word I'll let everyone know.

I will watch the litters of all Poppy's doe-line to see if any buck kits have it, and will probably then cull those does and any bucks with the problem. I don't necessarily have to do them all at once, but can keep them in production for meat purposes until replacements are raised.

It isn't the end of the world, but I don't want to perpetuate the incidence of it (whatever it is!) in my herd.

Thats what I would do. Just replace them as you raise up replacements. Do you have an unrelated buck?

I've seen this in a dog before. The only reason the owners knew he had it is because he kept peeing on his belly and chest, no matter how he stood to pee. Doc just snipped it when he was under for something else. Cant remember if he had to cauterize it or not.

fishdip":1oqyqrk3 said:
I don't think its to big of a deal if it was I think he not be able to get the doe. You think you can cut it?

If she's selling show rabbits, it will be a DQ, no matter whether it is functional or not. I don't know if this is a sign of a split penis or not, but any abnormalities will get the buck sent off the table.

fishdip":35k3kyfk said:

I think it would be a good idea to have a vet do it, IF you are going to do it at all.
I also agree with culling out litters of that buck

Latest posts

Back