Strange discharge-need info

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugzy4Lady

Reaction score
:?:
Just finished cleaning the trays under my does and in the one I found a clear gel discharge in the poop area. There was two different areas of this. The doe is due to kindle by the 3rd. Since I am new to this I have no idea what this is, any ideas.

Please be careful. This happened to me two weeks ago. There was clear gel like discharge in the poop. Then she stopped eating. This was a Weds. She was due on Sat/Sunday. She would not eat, would not drink, would not move. Nibbled a bit of hay. I started giving fluids and pineapple juice by syringe, She still wouldn't eat, but nibbled some hay. Sunday night, she delivered 5 kits dead. Monday another and Tuesday another. Then she went back to eating and drinking just fine. I thought I had did something wrong. Later I discovered it was pregnancy ketosis.

and I've had rabbits this happens to and they are just fine.

it is a sign to watch to keep a close eye on them.

Can be a sign of coccidia.
Can be a sign of issues with pregnancy.
Can be nothing at all.

Things to watch for.
Going off feed.
Not pooping.
looking "odd"

If you think ANYTHING is off, react. Feed parsley, and other GOOD greens.. greens that stimulate the appetite. Keep hay in front of her. Watch her water levels. Make sure she keeps drinking.

Thanks ladysown, give me another use for parsley. I grew a bunch this past summer and never used it.

Get some Probios and start giving it to her. Pull the pellets and give her hay to eat. Sounds like she is starting to get enteritis...plantain is also a good weed for digestive issues...

I checked on her again this morning and she is not eating any pellets, which I now removed and she did eat some hay. I did not have probios, will bene bac work? I can I also try giving her some critical care? Should I also give her some penicillin? I am worried about her kits, I am afraid she may loose them, she is due to kindle this weekend.

I just checked on her and it is worse, she now aborted two kits refuses to eat and it does appear she is still has the watery stool although she is drinking a little water. I wonder if it is too late and should I put her out of her misery or will she maybe make it though this. I did give her a heat lamp for warmth but she really does not look well.

she's drinking so it's unlikely that she has a blockage.

Can you get some tums into her? that might help if she's having pregnancy related issues.

But you see her... and have to figure out if fighting to save her is worth the battle.
You'd likely not want to breed her again if pregnancy causes trouble for her.

Can you syringe some Benebac into her? She is likely not getting enough of it if she is not drinking well....that is why I like Probios paste. You can get a whole dose into them rather quickly.

With mine, I dosed her twice a day with the probiotics, gave her GasX for the bloat and massaged her belly to help dislodge the gas...

Latest posts

Back