Stormy Storm

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heritage":2myqqyto said:
Bummer he ended up mean. I haven't had much luck with cockerels, and it's true they generally just get increasingly more aggressive. The one I have now is not the norm, and I am going to be sad when he's gone. He's one to stand in the middle of prize food clucking for the hens to come and get it before he partakes... even feeding certain ones from his own beak. His favorites do get a bid bald on the back, but I think it's just b/c he's so big (and his spurs grow HUGE), not out of aggression.

Ha! Your rooster may pose as a gentleman, but he is merely training his girls to come when called so he can jump them. I've seen this so often with roosters! It's not necessarily a bad thing -- especially if you want fertile eggs for hatching -- but he is not without an ulterior motive!

MaggieJ":3mjj721v said:
Ha! Your rooster may pose as a gentleman, but he is merely training his girls to come when called so he can jump them. I've seen this so often with roosters! It's not necessarily a bad thing -- especially if you want fertile eggs for hatching -- but he is not without an ulterior motive!
:rotfl: Oh my goodness... that's hilarious! I hadn't even noticed that's what was happening!

Miss M":2wfkqzng said:
MaggieJ":2wfkqzng said:
:rotfl: Oh my goodness... that's hilarious! I hadn't even noticed that's what was happening!

Oh, yeah!!! Trust me. :twisted:

Okay, nobody get mad at me for this. In terms of things reproduction-related, I'm right up there with, like, sheep and goats. Can hens lay eggs without roosters?
_stupidme__remake_by_arrioch.gif

funnies50":3efazsxf said:
Okay, nobody get mad at me for this. In terms of things reproduction-related, I'm right up there with, like, sheep and goats. Can hens lay eggs without roosters?
_stupidme__remake_by_arrioch.gif

Yes, they are just not fertilized... I know there are a LOT of people out there that believe you have to have a rooster to get eggs. Totally not true.

MaggieJ":2m6o7vs2 said:
Miss M":2m6o7vs2 said:
MaggieJ":2m6o7vs2 said:

Oh, yeah!!! Trust me. :twisted:
I paid more attention this morning. While Galaxy didn't use the opportunity to jump them, he was calling them. So was Fancy Pants, the neighbor's rooster who lives here. The hens can't come to him, though, so he ate it. I'm definitely going to be watching more carefully.

We kicked the Barred Rocks out of the baby pen this morning. I wanted them out a little early, since they have a reputation for being bossy. I wanted them to get bossed a bit, rather than letting them get as big as the others and upset the whole pecking order. The Brown Leghorn and the two Golden Sexlinks are still in the baby pen. The Barred Rocks are intimidated, but they're not being bullied.

funnies50":2m6o7vs2 said:
Oooooooookay. *flops on floor* :shrug: If ya say so! :lol:
Yep, even some experienced chicken raisers believe you need a rooster to get eggs... or that you will get more eggs if you have a rooster than if you don't. Our neighbor told us that. But think of all the commercially-produced eggs. Those hens never even lay eyes on a rooster.

Back