Still having Seizure's

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindi Davis

Reaction score
Marble has been having Seizures for at least a Month that I know of, No telling if he has had them before that. 3 Days ago he had Cluster Seizures soooo Back to the Vet we go. Matt (Vet) pulled blood to run tests with did a GOOD PHYSICAL on him. His heart is good so that wasnt the cause. Temp was normal even though it was a hot day. I dont mind saying he scared the bejueezus out of me that day and I didnt sleep that night, every time he moved I had to double check he was ok. Now I am waiting till monday for test results.
In the mean time I did research on Cluster Seizures and it is extremely scary. I hope that medication will help but now Im not so hopeful. We will see.

Oh no! I'm so sorry...hopefully they can control it with medication.

If it helps, a LOT of pets have seizure disorders to varying degrees, so much so that it was standard for me to ask my clients the first time I worked on their dog or cat "Does (name of pet) have any problems with seizures or epilepsy?" Most of them live very normal lives...I hope Marble can be one of those lucky ones!!!

Thanks Mamma and Kyle, We had some bloodwork done last week and will find out Monday the results of that. The plan is the Phenobarb to control the seizures. BUT!! Cluster seizures , from what I have researched is the worst an animal can have. The Treatment is Rectal doses of Diazapam. Worse case scenerio is non stop seizures, which to me at that point putting the poor guy out of his misery. I dread that outcome big time. but I cant let him suffer either.
This is what I have found out so far

Cluster seizures are when a dog has multiple seizures within a 24-hour period. These seizures are life-threatening and could cause irreversible brain damage.
Many dog breeds are more prone to have idiopathic epilepsy; including border collies, boxers, cocker spaniels, collies, dachshunds, German shepherds and golden retrievers, just to name a few. Dogs that have this inherited disorder usually display it anywhere between 6 months to 5 years. It is also more common in male dogs.

Treatment
According to the Canine Epilepsy Resource Center, cluster seizures can been treated with a rectal diazepam, also known as valium. Because a dog with a cluster seizure condition can be costly to the owner, this type of treatment can be given immediately at home and save the owner a trip to the veterinarian. When a seizure starts, the owner will inject a diazepam solution through the dog's rectum. A dog can receive up to three treatments within 24 hours. If the treatments do not stop the cluster seizures, then the owner should contact the veterinarian.

Given the problems your pup is having, consideration for "quality-of-life" becomes a determining factor. It's probably one of the toughest choices anyone with a pet has to make.

I've made several in my lifetime and I'd rather take a beating with a ball bat than have to do it.

It's not easy which ever path you choose to take. Think of your pup first, that's what matters. Best wishes to the both of you.

grumpy.

Grumpy Thank you for that, its what is on the back of my mind. No its not easy but no its not right to make him suffer either. Maybe the Phenobarb will work. If they do get worse then I will do what needs to be done. Its just sad as he is only 3 yrs old and should have a long life ahead of him. darn it. I to have had to make that decision before with other dogs for their peace of mind , none at this young age thought.

The thing with animals is that they have no sense of time...a good life is a good life, even if it isn't a long one. Hopefully he will respond well to medication so you won't have to make that decision any time soon though!

Cindi,

I had a Harlequin Great Dane that I bought to breed to my female. I drove to Tuscon, Arizona for both of these dogs. My bitch was $1200, and I paid $2000 for the male. He was around six or eight months old when she went into heat at a year and a half. I didn't want her bred at that age, and kept them separate.

He had a seizure and did a complete back flip, and when he was coming out of it, as he stood swaying, he barked at me as though he didn't know who I was. It was scary. Colliepup was only about a year and a half, and I thought OMG- if he flips like that onto my baby, he will be crushed.

We took him to the vet, and decided to monitor him, with the understanding that if it continued we would put him down, because we couldn't risk our son. Well, it did not continue... until the next heat cycle, and that time he twisted a gut and got bloat. On a Sunday. Of course.

He spent the night at the emergency clinic, where they were able to tube him and flip his stomach. Another couple of days at our regular vet to stabilize him, and then he was neutered and his stomach stapled to his abdominal wall. So much for raising and showing Great Danes!

I never used the Phenobarb that was sent home, and we soon confined both dogs to a special yard. It was years before he had another seizure that we witnessed (but since he was not a house dog we may have missed them), but they were more frequent as he aged. Still only a couple a year though. But the kids were warned that if he ever acted strange that they were not to enter the "dog yard".

One other thing- he was never the same after those initial seizures- we used to say that Viktor was a few cans short of a six-pack.

I hope Marble will be okay... I know that my dear departed Chase would have been very traumatized at receiving a rectal injection since even a nail trim or ear cleaning was stressful.

((Hugs))

Mamma Thank you :) I had just noticed in the last month or so the. but this last one scared the heck out of me because he kept having aftershocks after a big one. If the News isnt good I may just have him put down I do not want him to suffer<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:25 am __________<br /><br />Mamma Thank you :) I had just noticed in the last month or so the. but this last one scared the heck out of me because he kept having aftershocks after a big one. If the News isnt good I may just have him put down I do not want him to suffer

Ok Marble's blood work is good and we have him on phenobarb twice a day. Funny he is alot more active then he has been. Makes me wonder how long he's been having them and I just had never seen it before :( poor lil guy

So glad he's doing well!!! And the increased energy might be a side effect of the medication...some animals have the opposite reaction than what people expect to certain meds. Don't beat yourself up about it either! :) Just be glad you got it resolved and he sounds like he'll be okay!

Latest posts

Back