Still alive...with most of my finger(s)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thought I'd let you know I'm still alive and I have most of my finger(s) still. About 2 or so months ago I was working on a can organizer dispenser for the basement. I had to make a few cuts with the table saw and even though I thought I was being very careful one of the pieces got away from me and pulled my hand over top the blade cutting off the top of my middle finger and slicing the extender tender at the top of my ring finger, both on my left hand thankfully. Thank God my wife just happens to work at a hand surgeon's office (Kleinert and Kutz) so that same day I had flesh moved from one part of my hand to the part that was missing. (Not sure where it flew off to but that dog probably ate it.) They also repaired...I think...the tendon for the ring finger.

For a very long time there was no typing for me unless it was punching the keyboard and seeing what words you could make. They took the splint off just about a week ago but it seems like the tendon either broke or didn't heal correctly because now I'm left with a permanently bent tip of my ring finger. Oh well, at least I still have it and can use my hand. There goes my hand modeling life I had planned. :cry:

During the time period my hand was out of commission we also started remodeling our bathroom - completely. We gutted everything, took out the tub, sink, toilet, the floor and the concrete walls. Fun times had by.....no one. I had a remodeling company come out and price how much it would be to do this and they told me $23,000. I told them "Thank you, have a good day." It wasn't but a week later they said they would like to feature my bathroom in one of their magazines and would take an extra $600 off the price. Um, no. I'll send you a picture when I'm done. I'm almost done with it and have spent around $3500.

A few days ago we got a really heavy amount of rain during the night. I woke up around 6am to go upstairs and use the bathroom when I step off my carpeted floor onto a nice 3" of water. I kept telling myself that I just peed on myself and nothing else was wrong but I couldn't convince myself of it :( The sump pump had blown the pvc pipe off and was putting water into the house instead of outside so by the time I got it fixed we had about 5" of water inside, the carpet was drenched and I still had to pee. Finally got all that cleaned up and moved everything out of our room so I could lift the carpet (which doesn't have padding under it thankfully,) got a fan and dehumidifier which have dried out the carpet.

As THAT was going on and my bed was out of my bedroom we FINALLY got a working shower! Yey!!! First shower in about 1 month. First shower...not bath. You all are just nasty, stop thinking that. My wife and I both take a nice hot relaxing shower, basking in the glory of how wonderful it is to have it back again. Ah, heaven on earth :D And then we go downstairs to cuddle up in our nice water soaked bed.....wait, what?! Water soaked!!!! AHHHHHHH :eek:verreaction: :explode: :explode: :explode: :eek:verreaction:

It turns out the copper pipe at the shower head was leaking...no not leaking, it was gushing water like an artery that had been severed. That pipe just HAPPENED to be right about your bed. The water just HAPPENED to fall....right...on...our...bed. It's drenched. Still drenched. Molding even. I'm still trying to get the clothes that were soaked from the flood washed...they are molding too. That mattress cost around $800.....Anywho, moving on, we are sleeping on the couch upstairs. It's not soaked or molding.

My rabbits are doing good. I did have one that died while giving birth but I think it was my fault. It had a box in there but also still have the other kits in there since they weren't 4 weeks old yet so I guess it couldn't handle all of it? Don't know but she was shaping up to be a good rabbit. All others are doing well.

The weather has gotten to the more pleasant temps so much of my time is split between the bathroom, homeschooling kids, trying to get the outside presentable, getting the garden prepared, killing chickens and rabbits, repairing what the rabbits broke and the normality of making dinner and cleaning house.

So that's whats going on with me. Just thought I'd update you. I'll try to make my appearance more often as I know that MissM is having withdraws from hitting me with the chair and MSD from poking fun at me. Hope everyone is well!

It sounds like you have had a rough couple of months. I hope everything gets dried out for you and things keep looking up. :grouphug:

Wow! :shock: :eek:

I think you've had enough trials lately... I think I'll give you a temporary reprieve from the chair. No guarantees on how long it will last, though. :twisted:

Just unbelievable! Still shaking my head.

Wow, Mystang, what a series of mishaps. :shock: If you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck at all!

We've missed your banter and your unfailing ability to :pokeeye: the Mods. It just didn't seem like RT without you. Hope things will improve for you asap and that you'll be back to tormenting us in the manner to which we have become accustomed. :hobbyhors

Miss M, maybe you should spare the chair for a bit and let Mystang recover. You can get him later :chair: when he is fair game again.

Thanks everyone.

I think the reprieve from the chair will be short lived. Actually, I'd be surprised if it lasted the rest of the day with a couple of my comments but who knows.

As far as everything that's happened, it's been a lot but it could have been much much worse. I could have had 4 foot of water in my basement like my sister-in-law's brother. I could have lost both finger....very easily. As it is I've only lost the ability to bend the tip of my ring finger and I have no feeling in the tip of my middle finger. Not a bad price. Glass half full :) :D

Still kinda miffed about the bed though lol. I'm sure this is going to be one of those "One day you'll look back on this and laugh thing".....that day has no got here yet.

Mystang! I am shocked and dismayed :shock: that you would doubt Miss M's word as an RT Mod that she will not employ The Chair :chair: until you are in better shape.

Where is your faith and trust, man??? :? :x :eek:

And I thought I was the only person who cut off fingers and have general bad luck. Well now I don't feel so bad some one else has taken my place thank you and good luck. Oh by the way my fingers was pulled back through the table saw when I stopped pushing and reached across the top to pull the piece the rest of the way through the saw with my left hand. It happen so extremely fast nothing I could do about it. Like you I do not know where the pieces went but fingers healed but not perfect.

Wow, I vote we ban members of this forum from using table saws. Wasn't that was got Grumpy also? <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:56 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh, I'm glad you back Mustang. I hope things start to look up for you!

Ole Mule":vbm8lr0z said:
And I thought I was the only person who cut off fingers and have general bad luck. Well now I don't feel so bad some one else has taken my place thank you and good luck. Oh by the way my fingers was pulled back through the table saw when I stopped pushing and reached across the top to pull the piece the rest of the way through the saw with my left hand. It happen so extremely fast nothing I could do about it. Like you I do not know where the pieces went but fingers healed but not perfect.

Exactly what happened. I reached across to pull it through and well...it pulled me across instead. Oh well, glad I could make you feel less lonely :p

MaggieJ":vbm8lr0z said:
Mystang! I am shocked and dismayed :shock: that you would doubt Miss M's word as an RT Mod that she will not employ The Chair :chair: until you are in better shape.

Faith and trust....? Hmm, think those got knocked out of me the third or forth time I got the chair :cry:

I do not think we the only two that has ever did that. Now to make you feel better I did it twice about 6 month apart same fingers.

At least I haven't had to deal with power tool injuries. Yet. My husband's grandpa gave us a table saw, band saw, and drill press when we were there for easter. Now plumbing we don't want to go in to. As the month has progressed we've been reduced to emptying the kitchen sink contents from a bucket underneath because it backed up into the dishwasher, rotted, and then started leaking out on the floor. The toilet kinda, sorta flushes without flooding the bathroom or kitchen with water if you take several precautions. I so want a shower. :( and the dishes...! I was going to wash them all upstairs today but last night is when the option to take a shower ended. I may be washing dishes outside in a stock tank with cold water. First Josh has to fix the pipe to the outside faucet that mysteriously burst after everything was thawed and we turned it on. Aside from the careful toilet flushes and the washing machine drains directly in to the sewer line I don't exactly have running water. I am selling my pedigreed violet and sapphire chinchillas to recover the money to get the plumbing stable. Eventually though we have to do a more thorough fix which they did a low estimate of $2000 for.

Ole Mule":2343vl8d said:
I do not think we the only two that has ever did that. Now to make you feel better I did it twice about 6 month apart same fingers.

I'm afraid to laugh right now because I'd I do I know it will happen to me. Lol

mystang89":33es9o64 said:
I thought I was being very careful one of the pieces got away from me and pulled my hand over top the blade cutting off the top of my middle finger and slicing the extender tender at the top of my ring finger, both on my left hand thankfully.

Yikes! I bet you were almost afraid to look at your hand, not knowing what would be left. :cry:

Thank God my wife just happens to work at a hand surgeon's office (Kleinert and Kutz)

Thank God is right! And thank him again, because just think if they were Dr.s Keinert and Klutz. Things may have turned out far, far worse. ;)

For a very long time there was no typing for me unless it was punching the keyboard and seeing what words you could make.

Huh... I thought that was your normal approach?

it seems like the tendon either broke or didn't heal correctly because now I'm left with a permanently bent tip of my ring finger.

My mom broke a glass while doing dishes and mangled her hand very badly. I can't recall if it was one or more tendons, but even after the surgery they said that she would never be able to use the hand again. Well, that just didn't sit well with my mom, so she exercised her hand throughout the day by squeezing putty or a ball or something, and regained full use of her hand... so there is hope. :)

There goes my hand modeling life I had planned. :cry:

You still have your pretty face. ;)

During the time period my hand was out of commission we also started remodeling our bathroom - completely.

Wow!

A few days ago we got a really heavy amount of rain during the night. I woke up around 6am to go upstairs and use the bathroom when I step off my carpeted floor onto a nice 3" of water.
As THAT was going on and my bed was out of my bedroom we FINALLY got a working shower! Yey!!!
My wife and I both take a nice hot relaxing shower, basking in the glory of how wonderful it is to have it back again. Ah, heaven on earth :D And then we go downstairs to cuddle up in our nice water soaked bed.....wait, what?! Water soaked!!!! AHHHHHHH

Oh my... :x Hope everything gets dried out soon. :clover:

I'll try to make my appearance more often as I know that MissM is having withdraws from hitting me with the chair and MSD from poking fun at me.

You'd better. Miss M has actually taken to beating me with the chair out of sheer frustration. :angry:

I think the reprieve from the chair will be short lived. Actually, I'd be surprised if it lasted the rest of the day with a couple of my comments but who knows.
MaggieJ wrote:

Faith and trust....? Hmm, think those got knocked out of me the third or forth time I got the chair :cry:

I didn't promise anything. :twisted:

Hey, 'Stang! We missed you!!! Wow. You sure know how to keep yourself busy, don't you? :doc: I think you've rather earned the :rant: that Miss M had to delete out from your original post, but it is a family forum, after all. And the lesson in this story, kids, is that sometimes life is like a box of chocolate, but it's only the pieces that are nuts.

Glad you're back, and hope you have a turn of luck real soon. :good-luck:

the reluctant farmer":3l67v1h6 said:
Hey, 'Stang! We missed you!!! Wow. You sure know how to keep yourself busy, don't you? :doc: I think you've rather earned the :rant: that Miss M had to delete out from your original post, but it is a family forum, after all. And the lesson in this story, kids, is that sometimes life is like a box of chocolate, but it's only the pieces that are nuts.

Lol I didn't even notice it was edited but I understand and sorry for it being there. I guess I had some residual emotions locked away lol

My hubby cut the tendon to his right thumb a while back while using a commercial machine at work. His thumb was lying flat in the middle of his palm. The ER doc just wanted to "stitch him up". I said, "I don't think so". I got to watch another doc fish the retracted tendon out of his forearm and connect the two pieces back together. He still has limited use and mobility of his thumb.

Me, I am a world class klutz- hubby won't let me use power tools because of that well known fact.

Glad to see you back Mystang. Hope all your bad luck is behind you and things start looking up.

Middle finger has lost all feeling..... SO basically the middle finger you use to tell people to ...... doesn't give a ..... lol

MaggieJ":2go4cwo9 said:

I know! I'm hurt! :cry: Deeply hurt!

And here it's been 10 1/2 hours, and I haven't smacked him once! :weep:

mystang89":2go4cwo9 said:
the reluctant farmer":2go4cwo9 said:

Lol I didn't even notice it was edited but I understand and sorry for it being there. I guess I had some residual emotions locked away lol
:lol:

Marinea":2go4cwo9 said:
I got to watch another doc fish the retracted tendon out of his forearm and connect the two pieces back together. He still has limited use and mobility of his thumb.
Now I bet that was really neat to watch! :p

Latest posts

Back