still alive for now!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
just not got internet access. LoL i have decided to breed my rex/palomino cross to my new zeland buck for now as it was the buck i had for sale but i will probably keep him for now but i am gonna move the rabbits around before i do anymore breeding see if cages where the females cannot see the others will intice them to keep thier babies alive. We will see.

here the females cannot see the others will intice them to keep thier babies alive.

i don't understand this.

Why would seeing other rabbits cause the mothers not to keep their kits alive?

My does, and many other rabbits I know, have their does kindle cage next to cage without an issue. So why do you believe this would be the cause?

Could it just be you got a lousy bunch of does with ZERO mothering abilities?

My Rabbits get three strikes just like in Baseball.
If they can't figure it out by then, they are OUT!
As in off to the Stew Pot. There is no room in the inn
for a rabbit which cannot pull it's weight.
You can breed/cull for good mothering abilities.
No free rides, it is essential to the Rabbits longevity
to get with the program.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

i had a friend who raises meat rabbits and he suggested it. he said his females always kill the babies if they can see the other females but if he blocks thier view of them then they do fine.

i had a friend who raises meat rabbits and he suggested it. he said his females always kill the babies if they can see the other females.

Doesn't hold water. I have my Does next to and above one another
and they often have kits born around the same time and I have
never had them KILL their kits because they were within sight of
another Doe or Buck. I believe that the problem may be a genetic trait.
Might want to cull for better breeding/rearing qualities.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I've had does raise kits together in colonies. Plenty of colony raisers do. Occasionally the does will kill each other's kits if they are not good colony material but not their own. I doubt most people raising in cages have solid dividers either. I was keeping 2 does in the house in a divided 3x6' cage with the divider being made of metal panels that had holes large enough for kits to go through. They'd bounce back and forth between cages until they no longer fit through the divider without either doe harming their kits or the other doe's kits at any point. Breed for the personality traits you want and that includes not getting stressed by other rabbits and having good mothering skills.

Latest posts

Back