Sterile Buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
I have heard about Bucks going sterile when living outside in the summer heat, and am wondering what others have experienced. If your Buck has gone sterile, how long has it taken for his fertility to return? Just curious........we have Holland Lops and had our first littler in April, and are anxious to have more! We live in South TX and offer frozen water bottles and put frozen jugs in there cages for them to snuggle in and keep cool during the hot summer, and this summer doesn't seem to be as hot as some. We did put them together tonight and they had one successful mate, but then he seemed too tired to go again. She was very receptive tho, so we shall see!

I have been wondering the same thing. I keep my rabbits outside under a big ol shade tree and give them ice bottles when the temps hover in the upper 80s. Here in NC it's been HOT and humid for the majority of the summer. I was going to start breeding again at the end of August but know im considering I should try a little sooner. I read somewhere that the bucks just have to work.... eh-hmm his blanks out, usually after 2 or 3 mounts he should be back in operating mode. I don't know how true or accurate that is.

I didn't read that anywhere, but the thought popped in my head, "if they are sterile, how are they going to become unsterile without getting the blanks out"? lol.......they seemed too tired after one good "hookup and fall off" tonight, so I think I will keep trying them often and try to work it out. Hope to get some advice from someone experienced on this feed too, but ultimately I understand that with rabbits anything is possible.

Latest posts

Back