Steel Nest Boxes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use steel drop down boxes that we designed ourselves with the help of our cage and accessories supplier. We haven't had any problems so far, in the winter when it is really cold we line the inside with cardboard to help keep them a little warmer, the metal can get pretty cold.

They sterilize easier and don't hold pee or bacteria that could lead to ill kits but the lack of absorbency and air flow means they require more bedding to avoid wetness and ammonia fumes and they do not insulate against winter temps. We've been using plastic or metal in summer and wood in winter.

I prefer to use wooden nestboxes year round
but I do have a few Metal nestboxes with perforated board bottoms.
I would really like to sell them if anyone is interested?
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

We like the wooden ones for the reasons the others have said already. Hubby just makes them from scrap wood, and I have him add an extra 1" lip to the front where momma hops in. When she jumps out, if there's a kit attached to the nipple, it scrapes them off her belly, so they stay in the box.

I prefer wood shelter boxes which give the doe enough room to be able to move around in them with less danger of stepping on kits. They also double as a place to get out of the heat when there are no nursing kits. The ones I make from scrap wood are detachable and have removable floor boards to make it easy to bleach and air them between batches. My doe never urinates in hers even when there isn't a nest in it. She does let a berry slip now and again but that isn't much of a problem. It may not work if you have a messy doe that confuses a shelter box with a potty and it has to be removed or the door closed off after the kits are running outside. Kits don't hesitate to potty in it.

Latest posts

Back