Starting Trio?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new here so please refer me to an appropriate thread if this has already been covered.
I am hoping to get a small meat operation going soon. My grand plan ;) involves starting with a trio of a SF buck and one NZ or Cali doe and one Creme d'Argent doe (if I can find those within a day's drive). Based on my research into the various breeds these all make good and interesting meat rabbits and I'd kind of like to try them out to see which fit best into my little urban farm. I'm producing meat only for my family of two and am not too worried about getting the biggest possible yield. I'd appreciate opinions from experienced breeders - please let me know if there's anything I've failed to consider. So excited about the bunnies, thanks!

Those 3 will certainly produce a variety of coloured kits :D

However, disease is a constant fear for rabbit breeders and I do not recommend getting rabbits from different sources as they will need to be quarantined from each other for at least a month and there is no guarantee they won't catch something from each other and require culling/euthanasia

Your best bet is to get your original trio from a respected breeder who is willing to anwer your questions about health(resp. disease, parasites (exo and endo)) and production qualities (fertility, mothering abilities, weight at 8 weeks, temperament, etc...) and who has a variety of colours that you can chose from

We started in April of last year with a SF buck and 2 NZW does. The does came from the same place just because it was convenient--we didn't know about being careful about rabbits from different sources at that point. We did know enough to look for general health as far as that is visible. It has worked out well for us--no health problems.
Wish you success in your venture--whatever you decide to do. I've learned so much from RT and from observing our rabbits over the past year. Lots of good advice and wide variety of experience available here--then we each have to decide for ourselves what to do in our own situation.

Don't know your location. But look for a breeder that is set up similar to what yours is like.

Tour local rabbitrys, if they allow. I asked around here on RT and got to know a couple of great breeders here in my neck of the woods. Have even got quite close to Grumpy (the breeder I purchased my stock from).

I would get your stock all from the same breeder. No quarantine needed. This is what I did because my quarantine area was and is still not complete.

Ask question even if they seem silly to you. People here on RT are always willing to give advice.

Hope this helps. :welcome:

If you fill in the location area of your profile I am sure someone on here could give you some details on where to start!

I am trying to narrow my breeders down now that we have been going for a few months...

Thanks everyone. That's a good point, not sure how I managed to read past the whole quarantine issue, it would certainly be easier to get everyone from the same breeder.
I have had trouble finding active rabbitries near me. Though my facilities aren't ready so I haven't been searching super-seriously yet. I'm in southwest WV, if anyone knows of a reputable breeder within a day's drive I'd love a note. I updated my profile with location, too. Need to make a little picture for an avatar now. :)

Yeah, most rabbitries, especially meat ones, are on the down low to avoid Animal Rights Nutjobs from harassing them.

Most won't let you tour the fascilty for biosecurity/disease reasons, but should be willing to let you view their record books and/or bring the parents, older siblings etc.. from the barn - ask the breeder to inspect and judge their rabbits and a good one will go from nose to tail on what signs of illness to look for and point out conformation points - even non show breeders should be able to cover the basics of a nice wide and meaty loin and poorly muscled shoulders. They should also discuss the fertility and mothering qualities and growth rate of their stock

I just wanted to add, that when it has come to meat rabbits (we just started in the spring) I have ended up not worrying too much about breed, but much more about production and type.
I do have some purebred bucks but all my meat does now are mutts and I am keeping /breeding the best of those (I like playing with colour ;) )
In some ways it is easier to find purebred rabbits because you can find directories or go to shows... which is where I began.
But I have pretty quickly moved to a closed rabbitry (no outside stock once I got what I needed to get rolling) for health reasons and I'm happy with my mutts for meat.

That sounds ideal and I don't have anything against mutts. I guess my thinking was to start with three knowns and then make a bunch of mutts from them. I don't have a whole lot of space; how often do you think I'd have to bring in new blood if I'm just working from a trio?

Never :)

Especially if they are different breeds or unrelated

The first signs of too much inbreeding are decreased fertility and poor immune systems - not "mutant" babies and as long as you keep the best and eat the rest you won't have an issue

Dood":3khuqj2t said:

The first signs of too much inbreeding are decreased fertility and poor immune systems - not "mutant" babies and as long as you keep the best and eat the rest you won't have an issue

Good to know! I always wondered what would be the obvious issues if there was eventually too much inbreeding...

Dood":4ylz0xdo said:

Ok. So I was thinking a buck and two does and replace the does with the best of their own offspring every year or two (or more often if better comes along). I know a buck can do his job happily for several more years but at some point I'll have to replace him. With one of his sons, then? No need to bring in a new unrelated one until I start seeing fertility issues or they start getting sickly? I guess I'm thinking way too far ahead here and it makes sense considering how they naturally live in colonies.

Back