Starting a New Colony Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm just starting out on my bunny adventures. I'm hoping to start a colony as soon as spring thaw gets here. I've read in a few places that I need to dig in 12-16" install dig guards the entire way around the colony so that they aren't able to burrow out. Does this sound right to everyone here? Also, what is everyone's square footage for their colonies. I have a pretty good area to make my colony in but don't want to over populate it. Thanks for all input!

Hi! Did you ever get an answer to your question? I would absolutely recommend digging down and possibly even under if you can manage it. My colony destroyed my backyard. I made the mistake of putting their run adjacent to my home and did not sink any fencing. They dug under the foundation and started tearing up the footings.

My run is about 8' x 30' for three rabbits plus their babies when we have them. Elevated hutches provide an additional level and spaces for nest boxes.

No, I didn't thank you. I think for the time being we are going with suspended cages and just doing tractors for getting them out for fresh grass. Thank you!

I can't believe they did that, how crazy!

Back