Standard Rex's, which to cull??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvstickbow

Reaction score
I have a litter of standard Rex's that were all born on 7/24/2014, making them 15 weeks old tomorrow. I am getting ready to start selling them and am not sure which to possibly keep and which might need culling. I'm rather new to rabbits and very new to Rex. The first four are bucks and the last three are does. I will post their weights as well as I am also breeding for meat qualities; not just fur or show. Thanks in advance for your insight.

These are the bucks in the litter
#1 weight 6#2oz

#3 weight 5#11oz

#5 weight 6#

#7 weight 5#4oz

The does
#2 weight 5#10oz

#4 weight 6#4oz

#6 weight 5#4oz

I like the little black for her body type but her fur is not the quality of the whites. Might thin about keeping one of the bucks and I am open to any and or all or the does. Just don't want to keep anything not worth keeping or sell it to someone else if it won't make a good breeder for them. I am thinking that #1 is the best of the bucks and 4 and 6 are the better of the does?? Not entirely sure though.

typing with one hand here.

Rex (proper term) are a commercial meat breed. Judge accordingly.

The weight is good on all.

Move the ears away from the shoulder so we can see if the shoulder is too long.

1 looks good, shoulder looks long.

3 peaks too far forward and drops off the back.

5 is posed too far for me to comment , repose.

7 peaks too far forward, repose
that means the meat is in the shoulder, not the loin and back.

6 is long in the

reposing changes things, scoot the feet just a bit closer, and 7 probably looks different.

For meat these look good, I would not mind having them, the litter is uniform, a few shoulder and loin adjustments, but nothing I see that screams cull at all. The width and depth are good.
For show cull the long shoulder ones.

FYI, white always has the best fur, hands down on most breeds. Try as you might, you never really get as good a fur on the other colors. Except Cal Rex maybe.

Thanks for the input Sky. Here's a different picture of rabbits #5 and #7. They were a little more cooperative today. It definitely makes them look a little better when they're posed better today.

Since you are only looking to keep one buck, I also like #1 the best for overall type. You can work on the long shoulders in the line over time, but he has a nice size, depth, and HQ, too. I like #4 best of the does, but I don't know your numbers situation since you said keep one or all. #2 peaks early and is a bit undercut in the hindquarter and #6 is long and low, but really this is a very nice litter and you did a great job raising and posing them for someone new to rabbits. Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back