Standard Rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tanned a standard rex? How did you tan it? How did it turn out? I'm thinking that if I breed another breed (I'm just starting to breed Silver Foxes) I'll probably get standard rex.

Yes. The reason I started raising Rex is for the fur, and once, and in some places still, they were a popular fur breed.

I tanned with alum. The hide is very white and soft. I did not buff it. The fur is incredible.

sky, how long have you been doing this? I'm wondering how long a fur lasts with an alum tan. I have Rex that I hope to start breeding for fur (as well as meat) before too long.

So far only a year. There is a great debate. People say the acid lasts longer, but the alum is softer and white. I took a pelt to school, it's been handled for a whole year by 30 plus 3rd graders, and it's still in good shape. One guy on a forum said he had alum tanned stuff last 20 +years.

Where do you get the alum? I've asked at the feed store (which is where I'd heard you get it) and they looked at me like I was crazy and sent me to the canning section... perhaps I need to try a different feed store. Is there another name it goes by, and what do non-tanners DO with alum anyway?

And to can veggies and pickle cucumbers. I got it out of the spice section at Walmart. One of those little jars tans one hide. If you need a lot, order it from eBay. I have no where to get it local, no one sells anything like that in the garden centers in the city.

Can you explain what you do when you tan with alum? I've never tanned a rabbit, but I would love to try someday. I'm hoping to breed for meat, and if I kill a rabbit I'm going to use every part of it.

WildWolf":1wzu2bdg said:
Can you explain what you do when you tan with alum? I've never tanned a rabbit, but I would love to try someday. I'm hoping to breed for meat, and if I kill a rabbit I'm going to use every part of it.

Here is a link to the Mother Earth News article that details tanning rabbit hides....

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-H ... Hides.aspx

Just FYI....a lot of this type of stuff has already been covered here previously and you can usually find it by doing a "search" on it... :)

Back