Standard rex sizes???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to raising rex rabbits and the kits seem kind of small (I raise new Zealand mostly). The 10 week old bucks vary just under 4.5 lbs. Is this a pretty standard size? Thanks

I'm new to raising rex rabbits and the kits seem kind of small (I raise new Zealand mostly). The 10 week old bucks vary just under 4.5 lbs. Is this a pretty standard size? Thanks
Adult Rex size, according to the ARBA standard, 7.5-9.5lbs for bucks, 8.0-10.0lbs for does, while for NZs it's 9.0-11.0 for bucks and 10.0-12.0 for does. So Rex are smaller than NZs to start with.

In our area, breeders are struggling with too-low senior weights in their Rex, but that will depend on the area in which you got your stock. I've also found that Rex tend to have slower growth rates than NZs, although that varies tremendously with the genetic line and the selection for meat traits that's happened in the past.

Based on the ARBA's meat class standard, fryers (not over 10 weeks of age) should weigh a minimum of 3.5lbs and a maximum of 5.5lbs. That allows for some of the smaller meat breeds, but your fryers sound like they're well within normal expectations. If you want them bigger at 10 weeks, select the fastest growers for your next generation.

My rex are definitely smaller than my new zealand rabbits. The Kits are smaller and grow slower. My top meat line of New Zealand does are 12+lbs. In my broken New Zealand line the doe is around 10 (last weigh in). The rex does run to 10lbs. Same food. Different growth rates. At 2 weeks the new zealand kits are 2x the rex kitS.All of my does are the same age ...I would choose NZ over rex for best return. I chose the Rex for their colours and coat.

Back