Standard Rex joining the rabbitry soon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
Hi y'all! Long time, no chat!

I made a happy discovery --there is a breeder of Standard Rex rabbits less than 2 hrs from me! She has a trio coming available at the end of the month. These are show quality (and nice and meaty) rabbits. I will be joining the NRRC but I wanted to run this by the folks here.

The 2 does are sisters.

Doe1 & 2: Castor (Red doe (from Jim Barron)/Castor Buck (from Daniel Crooks)) I'm told they will be a "nice bright castor"

Buck1: Castor (Broken Opal doe/Chocolate Otter buck) will throw: castor, blue, opal, broken, self, possibly amber with the 2 does.

Does this sound like a good trio for a newbie to Rexes and colors? (I have only had Silver Fox up until now.) She will have more kits available in a few months coming from her self black, broken opal, and red doe. Would I do better (for show purposes) with a kit from one of those?

The buck cannot throw broken unless he is broken

Unless the does have self, dilute or chocolate and the buck carries non extension you will most likely get a bunch of castors making it easier to focus on type rather than colour so I'd say it's a good trio to start with :)

Thanks Dood! While having some surprises in the nestbox could be fun, I'm glad I can count on a color that is "approved", thus be able to get into the intricacies of breeding Rexs a little at a time. I got a little concerned and more than a little bug eyed :? when I was looking at charts online that listed "don't breed this color to that"... then, a little voice said, "girl, go ask on RabbitTalk!" :D

Welcome to the fold.

Well until you know what they actually carry, no sense worrying.

Back