Standard Rex: Information Request

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feraltydreaming

Reaction score
Good afternoon, everyone.

I am new to the forum and am located in north Florida (U.S.). I am contemplating breeding a
meat rabbit. A friend of mine suggested American or Silver Fox. However, as we
started talking, we came across the Standard Rex. I have a few goals in mind
along with the criteria that the chosen breed needs to be a good meat rabbit.
Those goals include large variety of color options (I have a few color-based
breeding ideas in mind), short-haired coat, overall good temperament, relatively
low maintenance, pelt quality that allows for an attractive pelt when skinned,
and (of course) a good meat-to-bone ratio.

With these goals in mind, I am thinking that the Standard Rex would be a good
rabbit to go with. However, I would definitely be new to the breed (I am only
familiar with Satin Angoras and Lionheads thus far), so there are a few
questions that i have.

Around this house, dogs, cats, an owner with a vision impairment (partially
blind) are realities *laughs*. I am completely blind in one eye and have low
vision in the other. With no depth perception, my "vision fail" moments
definitely ensure I am not the rabbit person who is going to be perfect with
every movement that I make while handling a rabbit. Needlesstosay, a rabbit that
can take my misjudging where the top of the cage door opening is and the
consequences of such action is a must (my friend's wife has Lionheads...so not
an option for me *smirks*).

That said, here are a few questions that I have regarding the Standard Rex:

1. What is the meat-to-bone ratio for a RS?
2. How long does it take for the average RX to reach a butchering weight of 5
lbs.?
3. What protein percentage do most of you feed (pellets and hay)?
4. Are RX does typically good mothers?
5. What is an average litter size for the RX?
6. Do they do well in intensive breed-back schedules (14 days after kindling)?
7. Do the skins tan well?
8. What is the best butchering age for tanning?

Finally, with my living in North Florida, I am curious if there are any breeders
that are present here or that you can recommend in the North Florida/Southeast
Georgia areas?

I look forward to learning about this breed and being part of this list.

Thank you all for your time and putting up with my myriad of questions *smiles*.

Respectfully,
RW

Welcome to RT, feralty!

I breed standard Rex and love them, but only started this project last April. I have found them to be good mothers, with litters of 7-10 being common, with a survival rate of about 6. Most of your questions would be best addressed to the breeder(s) you find, since people emphasize different qualities in their herds depending on their goals.

I haven't tanned any of my skins yet, but I do know that mature pelts are more durable. I have heard that when the fur is prime (in winter), the leather will be thinner, whereas a spring hide will have thicker leather and less fur density. If your main goal is meat, and you want fryers, you will butcher at about 12 weeks, and the resulting skins will be thin and delicate. If you grow them out to roaster size the meat will be less tender, and the skins stronger.

Regarding your depth perception issues, if your rabbits are accustomed to handling and most of their experiences are positive, I think they will forgive you for occasionally bonking them on the cage. :)

The meat to bone ratio is similar to New Zealand's, with the main difference is that they mature slower(12 wks vs 8 weeks). I don't eat the meat I feed it to my dogs, so I don't care about the quality of the meat, but I tan the pelts, so the size of the rabbit is of course related to the size of the pelts. The fur is prime around 4 mos (in winter is better as stated).

I have one doe I just bred back, and one that refused to breed, I will try her in two weeks.

Rex fur is not prime at 4 months. Rex fur is prime when the animal comes into senior coat at 6-7 months old,depending on the individual animal. You have to decide, is it more important to have a prime hide, or tender succulent fryers.

Rex do develop a bit slower, and their body type is commercial, comparable to your satin angoras. They will eat about the same amount also. Feed a 16% feed.

Rex litters are usually 7-10, as stated. Survivability depends on the situation.

They do fine in intensive breed back situations, IF their body condition is acceptable. Base your breed back on that and judge each doe individually, however, I wouldn't call 14 days intensive. I breed back within the first week after birth, usually.

With you being partially blind, I am sure your sense of touch is somewhat enhanced. Have someone help you choose an animal with very correct body type, and show you how to properly pose it. Practice feeling the body, so you know what a proper rex should feel like, structure-wise. It will become second nature for you to judge babies for keep or cull that way. Many times, when I am picking thru youngsters, I close my eyes and pose them.

lonelyfarmgirl":1x13sugf said:
Rex fur is not prime at 4 months. Rex fur is prime when the animal comes into senior coat at 6-7 months old,depending on the individual animal. You have to decide, is it more important to have a prime hide, or tender succulent fryers.

Rex do develop a bit slower, and their body type is commercial, comparable to your satin angoras. They will eat about the same amount also. Feed a 16% feed.

Rex litters are usually 7-10, as stated. Survivability depends on the situation.

They do fine in intensive breed back situations, IF their body condition is acceptable. Base your breed back on that and judge each doe individually, however, I wouldn't call 14 days intensive. I breed back within the first week after birth, usually.

With you being partially blind, I am sure your sense of touch is somewhat enhanced. Have someone help you choose an animal with very correct body type, and show you how to properly pose it. Practice feeling the body, so you know what a proper rex should feel like, structure-wise. It will become second nature for you to judge babies for keep or cull that way. Many times, when I am picking thru youngsters, I close my eyes and pose them.

Thanks for fixing that, typing too fast. I would cull for meat at 4 mos, I cull for fur at 6 mos.

Latest posts

Back