standard operating procedures for sanitation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
So I was looking into the laws in Texas about selling home butchered animals. It appears as long as you only sell "low volume" rabbits/chickens can get a grant of rabbit/chicken exemption you can sell from your home and other places. But in order to get the exemption you need to submit a standard operating procedures for sanitation. So, is there anything that people on here follow on a regular basis as far as sanitation? I figured had washing, maybe a cooling tank/sink to put them in after they are butchered. Sanitization of surfaces and tools. Anyone have any other ideas? I was thinking of making some sort of building to do it in to keep things cleaner. Anyone have any pictures of where they do there butchering? Thanks!

I have one somewhere that I put together for us when we get around to doing that. LEt me see if I can find it for you.

I keep mine simple and would not pass any inspection lol Shoot rabbit, hang rabbit off tree, skin rabbit, slit rabbit open so guts fall out, throw rabbit in a bag, when 3 rabbits are done throw the bag in the cooler,rinse rabbits, place rabbits in fridge or freezer, and clean knife and scissors with dish soap. Pick a new tree the next time to avoid whatever wasn't eaten out of the guts pile by wildlife.

I would suggest looking at restaurant kitchen pictures. If you can do it I would do Stainless steel surfaces, with removable cutting boards. I know that when I am able to I will be doing that. However I like building things with salvaged materials, so i don't know how that will work.

OneAcreFarm":1vlp4ew4 said:
I have one somewhere that I put together for us when we get around to doing that. LEt me see if I can find it for you.

Thanks! If you can find it that would be great. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:25 am __________ <br /><br />
baefull.wolfbunnies":1vlp4ew4 said:
I would suggest looking at restaurant kitchen pictures. If you can do it I would do Stainless steel surfaces, with removable cutting boards. I know that when I am able to I will be doing that. However I like building things with salvaged materials, so i don't know how that will work.

I will have to use what I can find for cheap/free. I have seen a set of once for someone that sold processed broilers and they had things pretty simple.

In the video posted here, I've got a bath towel...(I think :x ) That's really
NOT a good work surface cover. Believe it or not, I've learned that the
inside surface of a standard paper feed sack is pretty darned clean in
comparison. They have 3 or 4 layers of paper that make up the bag.

I'll cut the un-opened end off with scissors and cut the bag lengthwise
along one of the side creases with a very sharp knife. I'll take the inner
sheet of paper and save it for other uses. The next layer is "good" for placing
knives and such on while you're working.

I keep a roll of paper towels handy to wipe my knives off occasionally.
I've also got a spray bottle of alcohol I use to sanitize my table top before
I place the paper on it. I keep a roll of plastic sacks to line my buckets with.
Used only once, then replaced before the next session assures cleanliness.
I'm seriously looking at buying a vacuum packer for the rabbits before
they're wrapped in butcher paper. Right now, I'm using zip-lock bags.

I keep a pump-spray bottle of water to dampen the hair on the insides
of both hind legs. This stabilizes the hair and it doesn't "float" around in
the air when I cut the skin to begin the processing. I always use a gambrel.
I never let the finished carcass touch any working surface. They are taken
out of the cold-water bath, vigorously shaken to remove water, and placed
directly into a plastic bag.

Grumpy.

grumpy":ldoy7pdw said:
In the video posted here, I've got a bath towel...(I think :x ) That's really
NOT a good work surface cover. Believe it or not, I've learned that the
inside surface of a standard paper feed sack is pretty darned clean in
comparison. They have 3 or 4 layers of paper that make up the bag.

I'll cut the un-opened end off with scissors and cut the bag lengthwise
along one of the side creases with a very sharp knife. I'll take the inner
sheet of paper and save it for other uses. The next layer is "good" for placing
knives and such on while you're working.

I keep a roll of paper towels handy to wipe my knives off occasionally.
I've also got a spray bottle of alcohol I use to sanitize my table top before
I place the paper on it. I keep a roll of plastic sacks to line my buckets with.
Used only once, then replaced before the next session assures cleanliness.
I'm seriously looking at buying a vacuum packer for the rabbits before
they're wrapped in butcher paper. Right now, I'm using zip-lock bags.

I keep a pump-spray bottle of water to dampen the hair on the insides
of both hind legs. This stabilizes the hair and it doesn't "float" around in
the air when I cut the skin to begin the processing. I always use a gambrel.
I never let the finished carcass touch any working surface. They are taken
out of the cold-water bath, vigorously shaken to remove water, and placed
directly into a plastic bag.

Grumpy.

Thanks Grumpy, those are some great ideas!

akane":2olplggd said:
I keep mine simple and would not pass any inspection lol Shoot rabbit, hang rabbit off tree, skin rabbit, slit rabbit open so guts fall out, throw .
Do you find skinning easier with a full stomach? I've always gutted first then skin.

With the abdomen intact you can just deglove the rabbit. Cut around the hindlegs, slit toward the end of the abdomen, cut across the front and back right in front and right behind the tail, and then you just pull. It all peels off over the back and abdomen and without a head will go all the way to off the front feet. Just make sure you aren't pulling in to you when you pop it off the front legs or you get splattered.

a7736100":2etufbar said:
akane":2etufbar said:
I keep mine simple and would not pass any inspection lol Shoot rabbit, hang rabbit off tree, skin rabbit, slit rabbit open so guts fall out, throw .
Do you find skinning easier with a full stomach? I've always gutted first then skin.

Gutting first is super messy and tends to allow more hair to get on the meat. Try using a very sharp knife and keeping the belly muscles intact like Akane said. You can peel the rabbit. The feet bones can be snipped from INSIDE the skin. I gut after that..

Question: Nearly everyone "rings" the hind-legs with a knife....Why?

The skin is so easy to remove by pulling upwards against the hock joint.
LOL...ask 10 people.......you'll get 10 answers. What works for one, may
not work for another.

grumpy.

I'm not sure what you mean by pulling up. I can't do anything with the leg fur until it's cut all the way around. Even if just 1/4th of it remains connected I can't pull it anywhere.

akane":1pi449zf said:
I'm not sure what you mean by pulling up. I can't do anything with the leg fur until it's cut all the way around. Even if just 1/4th of it remains connected I can't pull it anywhere.

If you've watched the video, it's easier to see what I'm doing....
than my poor wording trying to tell you. I'm terrible about it. :cry: :cry:
Not tryin' to be a smart-a##....LOL. :D :D

That leg skin rips easily when you hold the body and pull up on the skin
towards the rear hock. It's tough to explain...darn-it. :x But it works slicker
than a whistle. Plus, I know whenever I cut the skin, those hairs seem to
be magnetically attracted to naked rabbits.

:yeahthat: I've been using Grumpy's technique for all my butchering..granted that has not been a lot. But I did watch several videos..Some were just awful.Some were well done but the technique looked awkward..some I know were not sanitary..
(PROMO FOR GRUMPY'S VIDEO HERE)
Grumpy's video is well done very professional and sanitary. I highly recommend it to all...It is an excellent tutorial ... the only thing I do differently is the dispatch. And that is because I don't have the strength or skill to do it that way. The skinning is quick and clean and the gutting is so simple a first timer can do it. He even has a guide to doing bucks..a little extra step that makes removing male organs simple. He even shows you how to track your percentages..Great video Grumpy..
I know you don't like to blow your own horn so permit me to do so....

katiebear":28m3lwce said:
:yeahthat: I've been using Grumpy's technique for all my butchering..granted that has not been a lot. But I did watch several videos..Some were just awful.Some were well done but the technique looked awkward..some I know were not sanitary..
(PROMO FOR GRUMPY'S VIDEO HERE)
Grumpy's video is well done very professional and sanitary. I highly recommend it to all...It is an excellent tutorial ... the only thing I do differently is the dispatch. And that is because I don't have the strength or skill to do it that way. The skinning is quick and clean and the gutting is so simple a first timer can do it. He even has a guide to doing bucks..a little extra step that makes removing male organs simple. He even shows you how to track your percentages..Great video Grumpy..
I know you don't like to blow your own horn so permit me to do so....

Katie....LOL....You're right.

I DON'T like tooting my own horn. I'm here to help others,
AND learn as well. There's a lot of "misinformation" being tossed about on
some of the other sites....and some folks on them are just downright RUDE.

Maggie invited me here a couple years ago...I'm glad that she did. I post
""""very-rarely"""" on one other site, but it's been a year or more when
I did that. This is "home".................. as long as they'll have me.

Thanks for the compliment.
Grumpy.

My own method might be harder to explain.
It was developed it for the taxidermy quality skins, so that when I'm finished all 4 feet, tail, and the head are still attached to the hide. I still do it that way since less holes seems to equal less fur to pick off the meat for me.

Well, it's the method I'm best at...but probably not practical for any large scale processing. ;)

Doesn't help with sanitation either...hmm...

Disposal of waste is probably something that would need to be included.

Latest posts

Back