Stains on those otherwise ideal bucks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A&BRabbitry

Reaction score
We all have that great buck that would do great at a show but he's just so hard to manage and keep clean from all of his spraying. I raise Cals and NZWs both are white and such a hassle to maintain. What I want to know is how do you keep your bucks good and clean for the show. I've heard of water and vinegar, lemon juice and vinegar, and baking soda and vingar. Their are also several products available over the counter claiming to be a rinsless stain remover but all to often many of these products or remedies fail to get that stain out. Any nifty tricks for this problem up any of your sleeve's?

Have you tried the baking soda and vinegar? That is one of my favorite cleaning solutions! Works great to clear clogged drains too, and I use it as a preventative. In order for the lemon juice to work he would have to have direct sun exposure. Maybe spraying him with Nature's Miracle would work since the enzymes break down urine and "digest" it. The only instance where I had to remove a stain was when I accidentally got ink on my buck prior to a show, and I used "Miracle Groom" for horses. It worked too. You might look at horse stain removers, since horses commonly get stained from urine or manure.

I've tried about 3 different horse products so far. You just hate going back and forth to the store to pick out another $10 bottle of soap that doesn't quite get it done.

Show Sheen works great to keep stains from sticking, but it gives the fur a very "high gloss" feel- akin to what Armor All does to a car- so it would be very obvious it had been used. I don't know how you would counteract that effect prior to exhibiting, and it is clearly unnatural feeling especially when freshly applied.

I'm wondering if the type of cage they live in causes more stains or less? My white rabbits are never anything, but white. Now in grass pens, but before, no bucks next to each other. No urine guards, just wire, nothing to cause the urine to bounce back at them.

Have you tried Goop? Leave it in for a good while and then wash out w/shampoo. It's the car/grease stuff at Walmart in the car section.

They are all housed near each other with 18" sheet metal dividers between them. I just have some bucks who like to spray no matter what. Some bucks will never be stained and others will darn near stay that way. It's a personality thing. Their always is one guy who tries to out do the rest, he's just claiming it all as his I guess.

Something you may want to pay particular attention to while you're at it. Be sure to clean the dingleberries from the bottom of the cage which are so common whenever a rabbit goes into moult. Absent of that, urine can often start to accumulate on them and cause stains whenever the rabbit lays down to rest.

I am very detailed oriented when it comes to the cleanliness of my rabbitry and the bottom of the cages are cleaned on a regular basis. It is purely from spray. Just an overactive buck that feels the need to spray and rub all around his cage while doing so. Just marking his territory. When he was younger he was great at the shows but by the time he hit a year old he started this annoying behavior. I guess he just has a little too much male in him and may never make it to another show. Everythin else about him though quite well as far as the SOP is concerned and he throughs some of the best little ones. He may just be retired from showing now and just good for propogating the herd.

Yeah, it's gotta be aggravating to see him turn all asenine like that. Something tells me it will get better over time when he gets control of his testosterone. Probably just going thru a stage where he's constantly thinking with the wrong head, if you know what I mean. :)

Well my best bucks tend to turn that way from 1 on...their is ussually no getting any better in terms with spraying...he's just left for the rest of his days as a breeder; unless of course one of you guys has the miracle stain remover that I have yet to find. Something tells me though as bad as they can stain it would take something so strong it would ruin the condition of the fur if it removed the stain.

I've always used corn starch in the past to remove stains from their coats. Big Show had one of the worst head stains I've ever seen when I brought him home initially, but after less than a week of working in a little corn starch, the stains were completely gone. It involes no mixing with anything and it takes a few days of working on the stains, but it has always worked quite well and is very inexpensive.

Back