Sprout Substitute for Hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotot

Reaction score
As I am growing fodder from organic seeds, clover seed is sometimes exorbitant in price. I do not feed dry hay which is why clover is one type of fodder that I have chosen. What is a substitute in their diet for clover? Or must dry hay be fed for a reason other than nutrients? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

It's not a dumb question at all... but I doubt you will get total agreement on what is needed. Many, many people feed hay as well as whatever concentrate they prefer (fodder, pellets, grain).

It provides ample fibre for the rabbits' digestive tract and bulk so the rabbit feels satisfied.

It gives the rabbits something to nibble throughout the day, which is the way rabbits feed in the wild. A bite or two of this plant, a nibble of that... a few hops and another nibble.

If a pelletless diet is being fed, alfalfa or clover hay is important as a source of protein. Fodder can fill this need as well, however. At this point, we lack information on how rabbits on fodder prosper over time. It's a relatively new concept for rabbits to be fed substantial amounts of fodder as a main ingredient in their diet.

I personally prefer to feed a variety of foods: alfalfa hay, some grass hay, small amounts of grain, and as many gathered greens (mainly weeds) as the season and our time permit. In winter, root crops and other vegetables, pumpkin, occasional apples etc. make up the fresh foods. Late last winter we experimented with fodder and it should provide our rabbits and poultry (a goose and chickens) with a good fresh component this coming winter. The rabbits always have a trace mineral salt block as well.

I'd suggest planting alfalfa as you can harvest it for more years than clover. Alfalfa protein levels arn't as quite as high as white clover but higher than red clover. Alfalfa is generally 18-20% protein. Knowing your overall protein and energy levels in the combined feed rations is key. Then you can tweak your feed/supplements to get desired levels.

The benifits to dry hay is the higher fibre content also dry hay is cheaper by far to produce than fodder. It is cheaper because you can generally allow it to grow taller/store it longer and have less harvests. Haveing an animal grazing is cheaper than feeding dry hay(since there isn't any effort in harvesting), the only problem with grazing is weight gain rates in the young but that isn't an issue for some purposes. Supplenmenting grain can help balance nutrition but grain is more expensive than hay. You will need to pencil everything out to find what is most economic.

Are you currently feeding any grain or pellets to your rabbits?

You have to remember, Randy, that alfalfa hay is cheap for us here in Southern Ontario but not for folks in a lot of other areas. And not everyone has enough land to grow alfalfa or other greens for their rabbits.

Note to Hotot: Would you please add your location to your profile (just state or province is enough) so we can better address your concerns. So many rabbit questions depend on location and climate.

The suggestion for growing alfalfa fodder was in responce of Hotot wanting a cheaper solution to clover fodder (assuming it was white clover). Red clover would be cheapest but with a lower protien level than alfalfa.

I do think there is merit to providing long stemmed mature fiber, the nutritional content is different in sprouted versus grown in the dirt/matured/cut and dried.

I'm just started looking into fodder as a feed. Thinking barley but having trouble finding it in southern Okla. Looks like it's going to be wheat, lots of it here :lol: . Should sprout in about 3-4 days and grow to feeding size in about 9 days. Let yo know how it goes.

So we are talking making sprouts like humans put in salads for the mainstay of the rabbits diet or just as a replacement for hay? I am sorry if I missed it in earlier posts.

Latest posts

Back