Sprayed legs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m a rabbit newbie. I bought a silver fox female, 5 months old and her front legs seem to be sprayed. When standing on wire, rabbit plastic pads, and sometimes on hay, her front legs spread out on each side. I have another rabbit in another cage. This doesn’t happen to it. She’s very friendly and pretty but I’m not sure if I should breed her for meat because of this leg issue. What do you think?

Could be a habit because of the wire i.e uneven floor. How does she get around on a solid nonslip floor like in a big exercise pen?

I once had a set of kits from a particular breeding that had insane joint issues. They had hindlegs that just winged out and it looked like they were barely functional, yet they managed to get around until they got to harvest weight. I did not repeat that breeding and ended up culling the doe after because she was mean as heck too.

I think you should try her, but watch for really bad legs in the offspring, and be sure not to keep any kits as Preitler suggests. In my industry we would call that a terminal cross, all offspring are automatically culls. Just don't get tempted because they SEEM fine, and are pretty and cute and sweet, to keep a new breeder from her. Or you may end up with the chaos I had in that last litter of wildly deformed kits.

I once had a set of kits from a particular breeding that had insane joint issues. They had hindlegs that just winged out and it looked like they were barely functional, yet they managed to get around until they got to harvest weight. I did not repeat that breeding and ended up culling the doe after because she was mean as heck too.

I think you should try her, but watch for really bad legs in the offspring, and be sure not to keep any kits as Preitler suggests. In my industry we would call that a terminal cross, all offspring are automatically culls. Just don't get tempted because they SEEM fine, and are pretty and cute and sweet, to keep a new breeder from her. Or you may end up with the chaos I had in that last litter of wildly deformed kits.
I agree. Thank you.

Back