Split Penis? (Photos)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not used to sexing kits or assessing the normality of their genitalia. They get to a certain age, they go to the freezer, and I rarely bother to look.

We have one litter of kits, Californians, that we are hoping to sell. I already gave two does to a man who let us borrow some cages. That leaves me with four bucks and a doe. Tomorrow, TSC is having a livestock swap, and I want to take them and see if we can sell them.

As we were trimming nails and doing a final round of sexing, I found I wasn't sure about a couple of the males. I mean, whether they are normal or not, not whether they are males. 12 weeks and already descended testicles. Definitely males.

So here they are, and I hope they're good enough. I think the first two are okay, and I took only one shot of each, but I'm not sure. I took four shots of the other two.

Male 1 (there is something of a "seam" on the penis, on the side next to the anus):

male1.png

Male 2 (same as Male 1):

male2.png

Male 3:

Picture from the other day. I couldn't get a clear view, as every time I pressed it out, it curled over:

anomaly1.png

Pictures from today:

male3a.png

male3b.png

male3c.png

Male 4:

anomaly2.png

male4a.png

male4b.png

male4c.png

Thank you for any help you can give! :thankyou:

That is a toughy, I mean a rabbit penis always looks weird, ya know?

Thinking the curled over one might be a split, not positive on the others, there are degrees of malformation. Like with a bad split it is unmistakable but I think a lot pass under the radar. I hope someone else has more experience with this?

dangerbunny":3kq5j1qr said:
That is a toughy, I mean a rabbit penis always looks weird, ya know?
Yeah, that's true! :lol:

dangerbunny":3kq5j1qr said:
Thinking the curled over one might be a split, not positive on the others, there are degrees of malformation. Like with a bad split it is unmistakable but I think a lot pass under the radar. I hope someone else has more experience with this?
Thank you, I appreciate you giving it a shot! :) I do hope some others have seen this before.

I would have to say, from looking at all the male kits I have had, that #4 is a split. I can not tell anything really for the one that keeps curling over when you press on him. The other two bucklings look normal to me.

Okay, I had a feeling #4 was a split.

I wish I had some sunshine today. Probably could have taken better pix.

-- Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 am --

We left #4 at home while we took the others to sell.

I billed #3 as "pet quality", explaining why. He was the last to sell, but after explaining the issue to the lady, she took a look at him. She had her friend take a look at him. Both thought he looked normal, so she wanted to give him a shot at breeding. I asked for her to send me an email when he fathered kits, just so I'd know everything was okay. :)

I'm thinking the curling over in that first picture of his may have been influenced by the dry, breezy day. :shrug:

A lot of them curl over...I think #3 is fine. #4 does look to have a *small* split, but not that bad.

Okay, that's great to know, OAF! :)

I had read that curling over could be a sign of split penis, but it didn't really look split, I didn't think. I figured being completely open about it was the best thing to do, just in case.

Latest posts

Back