splayed legs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
i have a kit with splayed legs. what are the long term effects of this? i had planned on trying to sell all of this litter. she is the smallest of the litter of 4. there was a 5th but it died at 2wks old. they are now 7wks old. could i still sell her as a pet or would it be better to send her to freezer camp? thanks!

I found a site that hinted at health problems down the road, but offered homemade braces as a solution:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/splayleg.html

I have no idea what health problems splay-legged rabbits tend to develop, or whether braces prevent them (though the site seems to say that).

Unless I was really attached, I'd probably send her to freezer camp, since I can only imagine the maintenance required for the braces.

i'd say freezer camp. i couldn't feel good about trying to sell her, because splayed legs are caused by a genetic abnormality and her kits would likely have it too. i've heard that rabbits with splayed legs can often develop spine issues and that would be hard to deal with.

Depending on the severity of it, she could develop sores where the legs contact the ground too. It would be kinder to send her to FC.

Latest posts

Back