Sorry....nother dumb newb question....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tegan

Reaction score
Ok...so now that I have Talia on the right track with food...I'm more comfortable breeding her. Put her in with the buck twice already in the past...both times she clamped down and he TRIED but she just wasn't letting him, then she got cheesed off and started chasing him around open mouthed looking to bite. The last time I put her in I was sure she was looking pink and not whitish or purple, but still no go. I'm not comfortable doing a table breeding because I don't have a confident helper, and I got injured last time my "Helper" tried to help with a potential dangerous animal situation so I'm not ready to try that again. (I value my fingers to much for angry bunnies to latch on!)

So...how many times do I try before I figure she's not going to breed? And how often do I try? Any tricks to get her "in the mood"? (Berry White pumped in 24/7 for a week maybe? LOL)

Try bringing you Doe to the Buck for up to four days
in a row. Within that time frame she will breed.
Also wait till she IS bright Red to Purple in color
and slightly swollen. If she is white or light pink
and shriveled She will not breed.
Try placing Apple cider vinegar in her water [i teaspoon per gallon.
Give for at least four days.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I'll be interested in seeing how this goes.

My rabbits always get ACV. Kipper had 4 live kits. I tried breeding Kipper on day 7. I did check vulva color and it was deep pink/purplish. She would not lift. I tried again day 14, day 18, 21, 28, 35, 42, 56 and still nothing (Tuesday is breeding day so once a week). Finally, on day 60, I force bred her. All of my other does breed back by day 10-14 at the latest, so if she misses or will not breed back again before day 28, she's gonna get culled.

CattleCait heard that Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea will bring a doe in. She and the others that tried it says it works! :p I haven't tried it myself- last time I looked for it, they only had "Wild Berry Zinger". I have a doe that doesn't lift either, so I may try with the wild berry! ;)

caroline":2ibjf37b said:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":2ibjf37b said:
Any doe that dosnt lift at all. Will not be in my breeding program.
That's her plan :lol:

Hahahahaa!!

I'm ready to get some tea for my SF does.

How do you force breed??? All I can envision is that my arms would end up shredded.

ollitos":1se3z2dv said:
How do you force breed???

I haven't done it, but as I understand it, you hold the doe's head and gently lift her hindquarters so the buck has access. Sometimes if you can just stop the doe from whirling around the cage by holding her head, the buck will be able to service her.

I prefer not to do it- I figure they will breed if they are truly ready... and if they don't eventually, I have a recipe for that. :twisted: "Wont you join us for dinner, my dear bunny?" ;)

We had a hard time breeding Matilda yesterday. We had two successful matings yesterday morning but I try for more than that. When I put her back in eight hours later, he never even made contact. It's nice to have the knowledge of how to do it but I'll let the rabbits figure it out. Didn't help that this is a young buck. I've been putting everyone in with him to help him figure it out but he's so meek!

I luckily don't have an issue with my current does. I place them in with buck and look for atleast two covers, then I repeat 5 - 7 hours later. If you want to try something new and unconventional. I know of a fellow Havana breeder who take her does on a car ride, and she says it works every time. She is thinking it is the movement of the car. :meditate:

Another day of open mouth chasing the buck around his cage. I even tried to hold her....she wasn't having any of it. I think I see rabbit stew in my future....

I'll try that tomorrow. There is a cage between them that separates them (didn't want any breeding through the wire...FAT CHANCE OF THAT!) My guess though is I'll have the same results.

You may need a new buck, as well. Our first buck managed to get the job done ONCE. After that, he was a pushover. Thankfully, that mating produced a buck who is a perfect barbarian!

We once had a buck who was a Vigorous breeder. One time he was less than enthusiastic on completing the deed. Finally i took Him out of the cage and checked his bucky parts. Seems some hair had wrapped around the working part . Once removed... he went to work with his old gusto. Now if a buck seems reluctant to finish... i check him over for 'hair wrap'. ( i can only imagine that it really could put a damper on the proceedings !)

Random Rabbit":3satcmd9 said:
i check him over for 'hair wrap'.

Oh dear... something else to check for! If the hair got tight enough it could cause severe damage. :x

ollitos":2cj1coad said:
How do you force breed??? All I can envision is that my arms would end up shredded.

There are a couple of ways to do this but the way I was taught when I worked as a Vet. Tech. was to stand in front of your doe, put your arm under her with your hand on the underside of her lower belly to hold her up & use your other hand to hold her head/scruff (should be on your fore arm) to stop her from moving away.

I do not do this with my rabbits, but had to do it at work a few times.

Jane

MamaSheepdog":1v66slyu said:
CattleCait heard that Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea will bring a doe in. She and the others that tried it says it works! :p I haven't tried it myself- last time I looked for it, they only had "Wild Berry Zinger". I have a doe that doesn't lift either, so I may try with the wild berry! ;)

Raspberry Zinger may e on the menu. This is the only doe I ever got to breed at 4 mos, and she had a big litter, though she lost nearly all of them (my fault and summer heat combo). If she's gonna have more litters like that, she's worth trying again. The fast breed back just may not be for her.

I have not use the scruff hold as that is where my buck likes to latch on to the doe, so I hold her head behind the hears, covering her eyes with my palm.

And don't worry, as long as you stay out of his way, the buck won't mind you helping out :lol:

Latest posts

Back