Sores/Scabs on rear of head between ears

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been oiling ears and I don't know if some of the rabbits didn't like the oiling they got last night, or I never got rid of them. Smooth sailing until now and there's some thinning hair around the ears & head.

Very frustrating.

When cats and dogs have mites they have a distinctive dark crusty wax. Do you get anything out of their ears when you swab them?

How puzzling. Have you taken photos as the condition has progressed? If you can post any pics you have and we can actually see what is going on, maybe someone will recognize it.

I've taken tons of photos...I'll take some more tomorrow and I'll just recap here if it won't bug anyone too much. I'd take them now but I've had a two day raging migraine. The only thing that distracts me is reading or online games. I know..

Anyhoo..

Noticed scabs on my blue rabbit, removed litter mate and put on the vet all-purpose gunk.

Was worse after that, and that weekend we removed all cages from rabbitry. Cleaned every corner, set out glue traps as well as some rat poison on opposite wall of cages. Sprayed DE everywhere..over hay, in food, over walls, ceiling, and floor. Outside, I put EVOO in every ear canal, sprayed mite spray, let dry, and dusted rabbits and cages with DE.

About four days later noticed some head shaking, put DE all over everyone, in food, and did the oil again.

I've acquired two new rabbits, they were completely dusted with DE, sprayed with mite spray, and oiled their ears three days in a row.

The kits were head shaking last night, I oiled the ears. Their skin looks thin on their faces...the oil was a little cold and congealed, so when I did warm it up, both of them got much more than a few drops. I'm wondering if the oil was just too much and bothered them so they scratched at their ears.

All of the younger ones seem to have thinning hair in the 'fat folds' on the rear of their neck...they lean out their cage and lean their heads downward, and that is when I can see pink skin through the hair.

Thats really strange. Almost sounds like the Mange, can rabbits even get the Mange? like MSD said, pictures would be great when ever you have time :) Really hope everything you did cures the problem.

any animal can get mange-- mange is part of the natural balance of skin bacteria-- whether or not it shows up is due to immune system health, stress levels, and 'whatnot' that can just 'happen" Many say mange is genetic, that youngsters 'catch'it from mother-- that wouldusually be demodex which usually shows up at weaning, then again when the animals hit puberty-- that is an example of stress and immune system failure-- why one would NOT want to use an animal that was affected by mange as part of a breeding program that is centered on good health....

Latest posts

Back