Sore Hocks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits By DK

Raising rabbits for meat and pelts since Feb. '23
Reaction score
I just saw during chores this afternoon that one of my American Sable does has sore hocks.

Does anyone know how to cure this ailment and how to prevent it in the future?

I'm wondering if it's because of the wire cage flooring that I use. (14 gauge galvanized 1" x 1/2" mesh) Should I be putting down rest pads? I would have to buy some new, and I've been putting it off because I'm low on money right now, but if I need to I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

I'd appreciate any insight you may have!

I just saw during chores this afternoon that one of my American Sable does has sore hocks.

Does anyone know how to cure this ailment and how to prevent it in the future?

I'm wondering if it's because of the wire cage flooring that I use. (14 gauge galvanized 1" x 1/2" mesh) Should I be putting down rest pads? I would have to buy some new, and I've been putting it off because I'm low on money right now, but if I need to I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

I'd appreciate any insight you may have!
That wire should be fine, but there is a right and wrong way to install it. The side of the wire with the 1/2" spaces should be facing up, so that the rabbit's feet are supported every half inch, instead of having the 1" spacing facing up, which gives a lot less support (the foot is balancing on two wires, rather than 3-4 wires). Also, make sure the floor is tightly stretched, with no sag, because that can cause sore hocks as quickly as the wrong wire.

Instead of buying expensive plastic resting pads, you can use a number of alternatives, depending on what's available cheap or free. My favorite is smooth wood scraps, anything that's not painted or treated, other than cedar. If the board gets soiled, flip it over, and when both sides are dirty, burn it. You can also use large tiles (rough surface up if they're glazed too smooth, since a slippery surface won't help him), which you might be able to find at a thrift store. Another option is carpet scraps, though those will probably need to be cleaned or replaced frequently. Same with hay or straw in a box - it will give him a place to get off the wire while he heals. But anything, no matter what material, which is left wet or dirty will most likely make his problem worse.

Keeping him clean and giving him a smooth, flat place to rest will probably go a lot farther in healing him than anything you can put on the hocks (which he will chew or lick off).

Rest pads can help him recover, but in the long run, it's best to breed rabbits that don't need them. My 9-12lb Satins never need them anymore, but I am having real issues with my new Champagne D'Argents.

Last edited:
I got a free rex buck that had horrible sores on his hocks. He was 6 months old and was supposed to be butchered. But he was so beautiful. His fur was so soft. So I decided to try some creative healing. I trimmed his nails and painted the sores with liquid bandage. Put some smooth wood boards in his cage along with resting pads and started feeding boss. A huge handful a day. I reapplied the liquid bandage every other day, then every 3 days. It's been 3 months and he is much better. Not sure if it will ever be hairy there like the rest of my rabbits.
He is still gonna be butchered some day, just wanted to see what would happen.

Latest posts

Back