Sore Hocks, Abscessed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macrocarpus

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever successfully treated a bad case of sore hock?

I've a doe who lived on the ground, colony pen. She began to show a strange gait and when I caught her and looked one hock was sore.

I looked up the treatment, gave her a shot of antibiotic, cleaned out the infected hock, painted it with iodine, packed it with triple antibiotic and wrapped it with the breathable, self adhering tape used to wrap leg wounds. She appeared much more comfortable this afternoon than before the treatment. Ugly wound, it will take thirty days and several dollars to heal.

More reading suggested that bad posture leads to this condition--rabbits are supposed to walk on their toes, not their hocks. I had better check her toenails tomorrow.

Any opinions?

And thinly furred animals. We try to breed for those that carry thicker fur on their hocks.

trim those nails, use iodine daily, and brush out the hock fur-- very gently!!! You wan the hock fur to be as separated as possible, so that it provides as much cushioning as possible. If her coat is thin all over-- try some dietary chamges in order to encourage coat growth-- higher EFA's, more proteins...

I've used a spray-on product Blu-Kote with a good degree of success on a Cal Satin buck which had about as bad a case of sore hocks as I've ever seen, applying it every 2-3 days until it was healed up. I also used a resting pad (both of which you can get at just about any local Tractor Supply store, or order online from from about any supplier). But between those two, the fact that sore hocks are a stubborn thing to deal with to start with only means that it's going to take time and patience to get rid of it. Stay after it until there's a fresh, full growth of hair on the area which is presently sore.

I had the best luck with NFZ puffer powder on a Havana. Barbi Brown suggested in on her site, and it was the only thing that worked for this doe.

Back