SOP Pages?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cspr

Reaction score
Hey, I know I really need to get the money for my own SOP, but that's going to be a Christmas gift to me from me. :lol: In the meantime, I'm probably going to have at least one American Sable litter--yes, I'm back in! I finally learned how to handle them properly, so my friend is giving me my doe back!--and I'd like to judge the mother when I get her back. Anybody be willing to scan the pages or photograph them or something? :mrgreen: I'd be much obliged!

I believe it's a copyright violation to copy from the SOP and post without permission of the owner (ARBA). What you might do is go the the American Sable Club website and look to see if they don't have a page on their site with standards. I know a lot of the clubs do. Just a thought.

Lastfling":14d2p9wl said:
I believe it's a copyright violation to copy from the SOP and post without permission of the owner (ARBA). What you might do is go the the American Sable Club website and look to see if they don't have a page on their site with standards. I know a lot of the clubs do. Just a thought.

It is a copyright violation. An individual can make a copy for their own personal use from a book they purchased. But, the second they distribute that copy to anyone else, they are in violation.

I've actually not seen a rabbit club post their SOP on their websites or in their literature. Again, that information belongs to ARBA and they are the only one's who can distribute it, post it, etc. To do so without ARBA's permission is theft.

Personally, I wish they would sell individual breed SOPs rather than make me buy the book for one breed. But, that is their option.

I had a hard time dealing with that, because AKC does not own any of the breed standards, and has virtually no control over breed standards. It took me three years to purchase an SOP, and it was after I got the Woolies, they have too many colors for me to keep track of just by memory, I needed a guide.

We can discuss what the SOP says about Sables, but can't scan the pages.

yeah, I don't understand why they have copyrighted the SOP. It would seem to be something they would want to disseminate freely.

They could at least sell it as individual breed SOPs plus a book so people have an option.

It's only 25.00. Got to the ARBA website and buy it. You'll be glad you did.
While you're there, go ahead and join ARBA. Again, you'll be glad you did.
Lots of great info, lots of connections, and a great book and year long subscription to the magazine.

luvabunny":2o9ofe2i said:
It's only 25.00. Got to the ARBA website and buy it. You'll be glad you did.
While you're there, go ahead and join ARBA. Again, you'll be glad you did.
Lots of great info, lots of connections, and a great book and year long subscription to the magazine.

I know this will mark me as a heretic, but...

I joined ARBA last year, I don't feel compelled to do it again...
I was totally unimpressed with the magazine. Take out the show reports and district reports (of no interest if you are not a show circuit person) there is little to no information of use to me, a "meat, wool, and fur" producer.
And, just why exactly do I need the SOP for every recognized breed? I raise one breed, have an interest in two others. That $25 ($20 for the book, $5 for shipping) is a 50# bag of wheat and a 50# bag of oats for me.

Okay, burn me at the stake now... :twisted:

OK Tina,
I will strike the match and try to get things warmed up!
Did anybody bring the Marshmallows?
NO, not really, though the Standard is a good book to have in your arsenal
when you plan to purchase new stock, I am not an avid member of A.R.B.A.
though I was for quite awhile. After too many years I found that the A.R.B.A.
was much more adept at draining your pockets into theirs then providing with
what the members really needed/required.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

nope i won't burn you. i agree with you.
ARBA would make more money selling them by breed. many people change breeds like underwear and then would have to spend more to get sop for each new breed =more $$ for ARBA and less spending for ones who stick to their breed/breeds

After much thought I decided to not join ARBA. I don't see the reason plus its money I don't have. $25. Is a pair of shoes for my teen son who has needed a pair for over a month. $25. Will buy about 7 gallons of milk or give me gas for maybe 4 days. My rabbits pay for themselves so they are not a $ pit. My main focus is meat first show second. Joining ARBA is just not a option for me. Maybe there is someone who has the SOP who can tell what to look for.

Do they still sell the old ones for $4? That's what I did for my first one. I bought the out of date one. Usually, there are not big changes, and it's easy to ask someone who has your breed if there have been any changes in the newest publication. It was a cheap way to start...

I haven't see them selling old ones, but I'll have to check! Can anyone tell me how an American Sable standard is NOT like an American Chinchilla standard then, besides color? I have the latter. ;) Or different than a NZW? IDEK. It would be worth it to buy one, but, as I said, I have to wait until Christmas. I plan to buy it, but I just want to be able to judge Anwen, my doe. I'd hoped to even suggest a buck, but I'm leaving it up to my mentor.

"ONLY $25"

Here in Hawaii where people with advanced degrees make minimum wage and we have one of the highest costs of living in the country...

Well there is no such thing as "ONLY $25".

Yeah. XD I'm pretty much in the same boat, Dayna. My frivolous spending usually involves rabbits and rabbit supplies that keep them alive. o_O Maybe eventually the rabbitry will go into the black, especially if I raise for meat, but for now? Nope.

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks will say something like "well, it's *only* $X" obviously thinking that that amount of money is as easy for others to spend as it is for them. Then, if you don't have $X to spend on said item, you *really* shouldn't be in the hobby because *clearly* you are too poor for it. sigh...

If I don't have $25 to buy rabbit *food*, I probably shouldn't be in the hobby (unless I have plenty of forage to feed them so even there, there is an exception). If I don't have $25 for an SOP, that doesn't make me a bad rabbit person. It just means, I have a tight budget and an SOP is a frivolous purchase compared to feed and other essentials.

Anyway, off my soapbox for now...

I agree. My rabbits (food and bedding) are second on my list of things right after my bills are paid. After that I get whatever else I need that is mandatory, food, gas, etc., which leaves me with little else to spend. That doesn't make me a bad rabbit owner because I can't afford a SOP book and an ARBA membership that I'll never use because I don't show. My rabbits are still spoiled rotten. And my rabbits are not lesser quality because I can't afford those things either, I even bet quite a few of mine would give an ARBA rabbit a run for their money on he show table, maybe even win.

Sure, it's only $25 dollars, but that is a bag of pellets and a bale of shavings for the trays. Or five pairs of jeans at goodwill. (anyone who has ever worked a physical labor job can appreciate how fast jeans develop holes, brand new ones rarely make it into the budget!) Or a weeks worth of human food, or... or...

I suppose it all depends on how you view money and why you got into rabbits. I don't make much, so I try to be frugal, and I got into rabbits to have a cheap source of wool to spin and some extra meat for the freezer. As such, I view $25 for a book that I only need a handful of pages from and a $20 membership I'll never use as superfluous spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back