Somewhat disappointed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
Looks like my doe I thought was breed last month isn't expecting after all. Today was to be the day she should kindle. I just went and checked on her. She was in the nest box,but I think she is just using the box as a hiddie hole. I took her out and checked her and the nest box. No fur in the box just matted down hay from her laying in there. I picked her up and checked he vulva, it did look a little red and somewhat swollen I put her back in the cage. I watched her for awhile and remembered if sh eis pregnant she would not allow the buck to mount her. I put her in the bucks cage and she almost immediately laid down and lifted for him. He mounted and fell off of her 3 times. Maybe this time she will get pregnant.

I am somewhat disappointed that it looks like no kits tonight, but glad she was eager to breed for a change. :roll:

Being in Louisiana you may be having the same issues I am here in Texas with heat sterility in my buck .... just glad its cooled off and hope like hell my buck shot out all the blanks with the multiple marathon sessions I put him thru with three does over three days.
One doe each day , three separate introductions , early morning , late morning and a third late in the evening with each doe with multiple (3-5) mount / lift / flop each time.

I've had 11 missed litters / failed breeding's since mid September that I attribute to the heat. Almost positive at least one of those three does took .... due on the 14th / 15th / 16th.

Don't remove her nest box. Rabbits can be late. You rebreeding her might stimulate labor, in fact.

The belief that the doe will not lift for the buck if she is pregnant is actually a myth. Many does will lift for a buck at any stage of pregnancy.

Ramjet, That is why I re bred her again last night.

I bred 2 other does since the first time with this one I hope at least one of them took.

MissM, I will leave the nest in for a few days. She seems to enjoy it.

Question? Can a buck climax while breeding without penetration? This is a first time for this buck so maybe he just got a little too excited. :lol:

I had the same thing happen. I have a doe I bred and due around this time too. I was actually breeding her to help clear out anything dead so I could breed him with other females. I think it was the heat; and it was still in the 90's most days around that time here too. I hope you get some babies from the new breeding. :up: . One of my daughters mice did have a litter of 11 yesterday, so at least I have something to watch grow up (unless they all go for snake food). They do look a lot like tiny rabbits with long tails.

Have you checked the buck for a split penis? Males with this deformity often fail to get a doe bred as their semen is not discharged out of the tip

cmfarm I bred her on Oct.6,it was still in the 90's here so that could be the problem. I have breed him to 2 more does since then so hope those take. The last doe I breed him to 2 days ago is so pissed at me she has almost stopped eating. Only ate a couple of tbs spoons of pellets and a few pieces of parsley yesterday. Didn't touch the wheat fodder at all. All my rabbits love the fodder. ;)

Dood if I remember right I think I did check him. I will be going out side in a few minutes and check him. Will let you know.

craneman54":gtmavf7r said:
Ramjet, That is why I re bred her again last night.

I bred 2 other does since the first time with this one I hope at least one of them took.

MissM, I will leave the nest in for a few days. She seems to enjoy it.

Question? Can a buck climax while breeding without penetration? This is a first time for this buck so maybe he just got a little too excited. :lol:

young bucks sometimes do that the first time,- but-- not 2 more x, - if it was a miss it is usually only the first time, and-it is usually when the doe does not lift well. he probly hit his mark

OK I checked the bucks equipment and it looks normal.

Doe still not trying to build a nest. I'll give her a few more days then and hope the buck getting her last might take. I already have yesterday's date marked on the calendar.

Miss M":fn2d763f said:
The belief that the doe will not lift for the buck if she is pregnant is actually a myth. Many does will lift for a buck at any stage of pregnancy.

What happens then? Could she conceive a "staggered" litter? I remember someone telling me not to leave the buck with the doe for any longer than one day, as kits may be born over several days subsequently. Myth?

BC Belgians":2vkne9r0 said:
Miss M":2vkne9r0 said:

What happens then? Could she conceive a "staggered" litter? I remember someone telling me not to leave the buck with the doe for any longer than one day, as kits may be born over several days subsequently. Myth?
Kits can be born over several days' time, though it is uncommon. It can happen even if there was only one breeding, or several in a row. Usually, it seems to happen as a result of the doe becoming alarmed. A doe can actually interrupt labor, and resume it when she feels safe again.

When a doe is 29 days pregnant or more you should be able to put her on your lap and gently put your hand under her stomach, (without using any pressure) and feel the babies move. Thats how I always know they are coming soon :)

Back