Something is wrong with chicken

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Little problem. I went out to collect some eggs and found this hen in a nest box. I thought maybe she was on a egg so went to go check and she tried to run from me but couldn't. She flew out of he box and landed on her face. She can't walk. All she does is crawl with her wings. What could possible be wrong with her? She was fine yesterday since I had them free ranging but today she can't walk. Could she have ate something or could it be a egg? She hasn't yet started to lay so I don't know. Right now she is in a nest box in the yard away from all the others. I really need to find out what could be wrong with her because I have 20 more chickens to worry about. I would like to say I did have to cull one of my rabbits because it had cocci. I really hope its not that. I can let you know that the chickens have never been around none of the rabbits since the rabbits are in the barn. And usually when I let the chickens out I watch them free range and tell them where they are aloud to go. So please help me figure it out. Here is a video of her.

View My Video

You are going to have to carefully flip her over. It could be an egg issue but it looks more like a leg issue. Did you check for anything stuck to her legs? They are great at getting string wrapped around them. Even after they get loose from something trapping a leg they often still have a limp. If she will let you try to provide support on one side and the other to see if she then stands up more.

I agree with Akane. It looks like a leg issue. Possibly she injured it coming down from the roost. Examine her and see if you can tell where the problem is. Chickens like to have their combs and wattles stroked--it calms them and helps to make examining them easier.

If it seems to be a leg injury, I suggest confining her to a smaller space--a nest box or rabbit cage would work-- with food and water where she can reach it. Rest and time can do wonders. Don't forget to change her bedding as she may not get up to poop.

If you can keep her in the chicken house in her cage, so much the better. It will make reintegrating her into the flock easier because the others won't treat her like an outsider when you let her out. If she recovers, put her back on the roost with the others at night--another good way of ensuring she is accepted as part of the flock.

We had our Pilgrim goose, Elsie, in a corner of the kitchen for a month last winter because of a leg injury. She's fine now--but very spoiled.

I also believe it is a leg injury.

MaggieJ":1shsf0k9 said:
If you can keep her in the chicken house in her cage, so much the better. It will make reintegrating her into the flock easier because the others won't treat her like an outsider when you let her out. If she recovers, put her back on the roost with the others at night--another good way of ensuring she is accepted as part of the flock.

This is great advice.

I have not had good luck when dealing with large birds with those types of injuries- it's hard to splint and get a leg healed on a bird that wants to roost and lay eggs. *fingers crossed your girl does well*

Mareks causes leg paralysis- have seen it a number of times, one leg stops working then the second one. They can live for some time without walking if cared for. It can hit both young and older birds- older birds often have tumors as well. That said it could be a simple leg injury- although chickens are pretty tough, and normally keep on walking even with a severe injury. See if she gets better quickly- if not pull her from the flock and isolate her- Mareks can hit very unevenly in a flock- not all birds are affected. Treatment of course is putting them down- I hope its a simple injury but you should be prepared in case it is Mareks.

I'll be praying for her! :kiss: <br /><br /> __________ Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:55 pm __________ <br /><br /> How is she now?

I had to put her down sadly :( Just hope next spring I can have some baby chicks that can take her place.

Latest posts

Back