Soft Stools?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
I know I'm full of questions today...!

So -- I have a doe who started making poops looking like this:

IMG_5049_zps27fb21f9.jpg

They're VERY soft.

Just suddenly as of yesterday she has begun pooping all over with them making the cage look like this:

IMG_5048_zpscdf69733.jpg

Normally if it was just one poop, I wouldn't be concerned but most of her poops now look like this! Are they just extra soft cecotropes? These happen during the day, though...

Those do not look like Cecotropes to me at all. When I have seen Cecotrpes in my rabbits they are darker and less grainy looking. What about giving her some strawberry leaves, raspberry leaves, the lawn weed Plantain, or shepherds purse? Thought would be to help firm up her stools.

I agree... cecotropes look like a bunch of tiny poo balls stuck together. That just looks like one big one.

If you can't find the weeds Sagebrush mentioned, you could also try removing her pellets and feeding her only kitchen oatmeal and hay for a few days.

I have another couple of rabbits (all housed in the same area) starting to have stools like this now. They do have dividers though and are not exposed to each other.

It sounds like it could be something about your feed then. Have you noticed a change in color or smell in a new bag? I would do as Miss M suggested and start then on just hay and kitchen oats (not the instant packets).

I agree with Blair, if many of your rabbits are showing the same symptoms, they don't like something that has changed. Some food item would be my first guess. Either a change in brand, a new bag that was opened, maybe some funky hay, or a new treat. Isolate any changes, and go from there.

*fingers crossed that it's an easy fix*

Latest posts

Back