Soft condition?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently took my Silver Fox buns to my first show, they were a little shy of ten weeks old and placed in the middle of the class. The judge's comment was they were in soft condition, does this mean fat?

I took one of CupCakes babies (red doe) to the show this past weekend and the Judge tole me she was soft too.

Then I looked at the exhibitor card afterwards and the word "soft" is written in the fur density row.

Later that day I went over to the same judge who judged Asia - (red baby) and she told me her fur is soft because she didn't loose her baby coat yet. The Judge also said when she molts into her Sr coat the chances of the "soft" fur will go away.

I dunno if that's the same thing your talking about - but this is what the Judge told me about "soft".

hmmm.. maybe that is it, I wish I had asked for clarification at the time but it was a busy show and I felt awkward asking.
thanks!

If the judge said that they had soft condition I believe he meant that their muscles did not have the tone of their older counterparts.

dangerbunny":2p0v8fc9 said:
I wish I had asked for clarification at the time but it was a busy show and I felt awkward asking.

Never be afraid to ask questions of the judges. They are there to help further the fancy, and help new and old learn how to evaluate their stock.

There is usually a window of time between the end of judging one breed and the start of the next, which is a perfect time to ask questions.

I like to find a judge who takes the time to really explain what they are seeing in the animals exhibited, and will watch them judge multiple breeds regardless of whether or not I have any interest in raising those breeds myself. They are always more than happy to answer any questions that I have.

Soft Condition relates to the Firmness of the Flesh and how tightly the skin Fits over that flesh.

An animal in its Prime will FEEL hard... no softness to the muscles. ( when gentle pressure is applied)

Sometimes juniors might be Firm over the rump...but the shoulders, if one got ahold of them on each side, will feel gooshy (soft) and there will be a Lot of movement side to side.

Most 6 class Does, after a litter, will never be AS firm as they were in their Younger days.

I would like to bump this thread and ask the same question as AmysMacdog. Is there any way to improve a soft condition?

Thanks,
Tommy

Some people swear by oats--
I like exercise-- that is what builds and tones muscles, connective tissue, even the skin. My cross bred doe, at her 'advanced' age, and after several litters, is very meaty and firm ALL OVER. The only time she ever feels 'soft' is for a day or so before kindling.

I've been told ( by our mentor) that the Firmness of flesh is an inherited trait. If the parent are soft... the young will most likely be soft. Firm parents...Firm young. The softness can be exacerbated by over-feeding, incorrect feeding, over-heating...lack of sufficient water and so on.

Conditioning for Show purposes is an ART. Not everyone is an artist.

I have to second the exercise recommendation. Even my babies are quite firm. By the time they are 4 months old, you simply cannot scruff them they are so firm and tight :D And I have several does that I would put up against any maiden doe for firmness of flesh, firmness of muscle tone, and firmness of belly/dewlap. The only doe I have with a large dewlap (I mean Jessica Rabbit proportions LOL) is the only one I cannot get integrated in the doe's runout pen. I hope to be able to get her integrated after she kindles.

Thanks for the responses, interesting stuff!

I just went out and squeezed my buns, lol, there is definitely a difference in the adults versus the youngsters.

dangerbunny":23c26pol said:
Thanks for the responses, interesting stuff!

I just went out and squeezed my buns, lol, there is definitely a difference in the adults versus the youngsters.
Okay-- I see a name potential here-- "Charmin"

Latest posts

Back