Soft cecotropes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovehome

Reaction score
I think I am having a feed issue. My elops, and Giant Chins have been on pen pals 16% for about three years now. Occasionally, one or two would cage floor would show signs of soft poo, but this would quickly resolve with a little more hay. For about a month now, half of my buns have been showing signs of occasional soft poo. Since I have treated with sulmet this spring and don't see any signs of liver cocci when butchering, I think it might be just lack of fiber in the feed. Their cecotropes appear to be affected, but they still produce lots of normal poo. Some of my new kits are keeping bloaty tummies past age 12 weeks also, which is new. They don't appear sick, just a little bloaty. They normally get a small hand full of horse hay daily or every other day. Since the elops and GCs are large and in production, I don't want to decrease their protein at all.

There are a couple of options I am considering: Switch to 18% pen pals (special order) and increase hay. Feed 17% Alfalfa pellets, a grain mix, mineral block and lots of grass hay.

Pen pals 16% is the only national brand kept in stock at my local feed stores.

The elops are show bunnies and doing well on the table...and I want it to stay that way. :)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Latest posts

Back