So upset!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhjmom

Reaction score
My kids have been raising rabbit for a little over a year and they just now have had their own home grown babies that are looking promising. There was one little black otter buck that has been super hopeful, who will be 8 weeks old on Friday. My kids have been so excited about this little rabbit.

Well, today after school, my 11 yo goes out to check on him and he has something obviously wrong with one of his front legs. I am afraid he has broken it somehow. :cry:

For now he is in a carrier with lots of hay for padding and to keep him from getting his foot caught in the wire. Trying to hope for the best but fearing the worst.

[album]3300[/album]

Jude got a splint made from a neoprene finger sleeve split up the side and held in place with first aid tape. He still isn't weight bearing or using it at all, but hopefully this will help it heal and he will be okay. He may not ever make it to the show table though. He is still eating and drinking well and doesn't seem to be in pain, so I guess we are at the "wait and see" stage. He has gained half an ounce over the last two days, which is good. (He only weighs 1 pound 3.4 ounces right now, so a half an ounce is actually a lot! LOL!).

Thanks for checking on him, Susie!

If they aren't in too much pain to eat and drink they will survive a broken leg and usually become weight bearing again. It just may not be show quality but if it looks straight you might only have a problem with any thickening of the bone in one spot. The one I kept alive healed with a twist so the side of the paw hit the ground. She still ran on it in colony with no problem. She was a pointed white (himi) american sable so she was useful for breeding sables but not a color that could be shown anyway.

Back