So this is a hard one....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
MOST of my rabbits I am able to like and appreciate and still treat them like livestock.

BUT not all.

1. my son's bunny New New Easter (NN easter for short). She's just a nice rabbit who always this seasonal time of year with the temp changes has a difficult time coping. I should have remembered that when I bred her but all I thought about at the time was I'm selling Nelson, let's see if we can get one litter off him yet. She had me worried enough this morning I was looking for a rabbit savvy vet to take her too. But now that I've moved her to the more airy tent she's looking better, even fed her kits which she didn't do this morning. She's only caring for one of her own and I'm down to three holland lop kits (but the HL kits were pretty weak when I switched them over) the HL ending up finally coming into her milk and the whole taking care of babies thing and is raising five NZ kits quite nicely. Go figure that one.

2. my first better than anything else I had at the time Mini rex doe Slip. She has missed that last two times and I'm thinking she probably missed this time as well. She's had two or three good sized litters for me. Whatever shall I do with Slip if she misses this time? I don't know that I have the room for another pet that it doesn't matter if she breeds or not. and I do have a firm (for older does) three strikes and you are out rule simply because I HAVE to limit myself to 21 cages of rabbits. I don't have room for more than that. The isolation tent is JUST FOR meat growers and rabbits that need to be separated (new arrivals, rabbits that i'm keeping an eye on and the like).

3. Old Jack. He was simple delighted...100% delighted with being out in the x-pen yesterday for two hours. This year the rabbits can only go out if I'm home and can watch the backyard as we have two stray cats that are able to catch and kill cottontails the run around here. Old Jack I don't think would be too much of a fight for them, except maybe the smaller of the two cats. With Jack we are just playing waiting games with him.

ah.....whatever shall I do?

I cannot continue to get attached to rabbits! I can't!!!!!

It happens to all of us. Perhaps you could find Slip a pet home? That would get you down to two pets and maybe you wouldn't feel so guilty. Could you convince your son to choose a different rabbit as his pet - one that will be beneficial to your herd as well?

It happens to everyone. I have three of them right now.

Ice T, I've had him for 7 years so there is quite the attachment there. He was one of my first herd bucks and pretty much every single one of my Mini Rex goes back to him. He's super friendly and craves attention and face rubs, which he passes on to his kids (and he's still producing). All those rabbits who literally fall out of their cages for attention when you open the door we've call "The Ice t factor".

Odie, he is one of those disgusting bucks that somehow worms their way into your heart no matter how frustrated they make you. I've had him since he was born and he's 5 now so he's not going anywhere. I've been through a lot with him, including shaving him bald (and Mini Rex are ugly naked btw).

Sundown, She's my first home bred BIS (won it at 5 months, now she's 5 years old) She doesn't produce anymore but she's special so she gets to stay. She's had several litters for me with at least one BIS winner in each one.

I am so happy, I'm very happy, my Slip gave me a litter this morning.
I am so happy, So very happy, my slip gave me four kits this morning!

(sorry, I have that jingle running through my head). :)

Four nice sized babies off my favourite doe. No having to make difficult decisions. :) WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back