so....now what?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
So I skinned my first rabbit. (And yes, it stared at me saying "why me"),....I've got the pelt drying with salt...It was almost a year old, so the meat might be a bit tough...does anyone have any tips or recipes that can help the meal turn out great for tomorrow night? I don't want it to be tough or chewy, as I'm serving it to someone who's never had rabbit. Thanks :)

Slow, moist heat. Maybe make a casserole with some kind of sauce. There are some great-sounding recipes in the Recipe Forum.

Hmmm... Did you just process the rabbit today? It takes a bit of time for rigor mortis to pass. If you cook it when it is still in rigor, it may be tough. Maybe look for a crock-pot recipe. I generally age rabbit in the fridge for 2-3 days before cooking or freezing it. I'm going to go and see what looks suitable... back in a bit.

Gad, took a look and they all sound good! Don't try frying it... that would be tough. But there lots of suitable recipes in the Rabbit Recipes forum and also a "sticky" thread in this forum. A year old rabbit is not old, as long as you remember it is a roaster and not a fryer. If you like cooking with wine, it does help tenderize the meat, especially if you marinate the meat in it for a few hours.

I'd recommend against serving it without the usual 3 days to age so rigor passes and the meat is more tender. You'll be able to tell when it's ready by lifting the carcass or a jointed piece if you've cut it up. Right now it will be somewhat firm and if you hold it up it won't bend too much from gravity. After 3 days it will be floppy and ready to cook.

We butchered rabbits at over 20 weeks (can't remember exactly). Oddly, the crock-pot method yielded dry meat for me that particular time, though the meat was submerged. I don't know why.

Two rabbits from the same litter have been fricasseed with marvelous results! I did find that, unlike making chicken fricassee, rabbit fricassee came out best with the addition of a couple of steps. Normally, with chicken fricassee, you dredge the chicken a single time in your flour mix before putting it in the pan to brown. For me, the rabbit wasn't hanging on to enough of the flour. So I did this (and I'll put it in the rabbit recipes section later):

Dredge the pieces in plain flour and shake off the excess (this helps the next step stick)
Dip them into a 1:1 mix of beaten egg and milk.
Dredge them in a seasoned flour mix (I tend to have a high concentration of garlic powder and onion powder in there)
Then put them into a hot, oiled pan to brown on both sides. When they are browned, add water or broth to nearly cover the pieces, and scrape the pan to get the browned flour off the bottom and into the gravy. Liberally add sliced onions. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Turn meat occasionally. After about 45 minutes, check the seasoning of the gravy and adjust as desired. Continue until meat is done, usually an hour to an hour and a half. Serve gravy over rice. If desired, debone meat and return to gravy. If not, serve pieces whole.

I did age the rabbits in the refrigerator three or four days before freezing them. Hopefully waiting wasn't a mealbreaker for you!

Congratulations on butchering your first rabbit!

Latest posts

Back