So my official just left.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Was the town by-law officier instead of animal control (which is who I was told it was going to be).

Seems my rabbits are just fine... he didn't even count them just took my word for it.

Didn't look in the second shed at all.

Biggest issue is....

I can't have 20 x 10 building up, even if they aren't permanent.

I apparently can have as many 10 x 10 sheds as I want, even side by side, but I can't have 10 x 20 tents up.

SO... It's going to be a bit of an expense, but we'll need to figure out how to rebuild things so that I have plenty of air flow and everything.

I asked...so.. what it I split the tent in half? would that work?
his response: OH.. that'd be thinking outside the box and would be totally fine.

I may be splitting the tent in half. :) That gives me time to redesign things and everything else as well.

Relieved yet a bit alarmed as it sounds like more expense.....ARGH.

Glad it went so well!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

I would type up little letter that went Per conversation on April 8th, .... split in 2 tents that are 10x10 is okay. I would have town by-law guy sign it with a copy for you and a copy for him. That way you have documentation down the road when a different guy says 2 tents AREN'T okay.

I am really glad that there was no objection to how your rabbits were kept and all! :)

Weird about the building, but it's almost impossible not to have something they find that doesn't line up with some rule somewhere. Sorry about the expense, but at least that was it. Hopefully, it won't cost very much. Good that you asked about splitting it.

Margali's got a point about getting that in writing, if you can.

I second or 3rd that notion to get a letter written. It has saved my butt in the past when I have a letter written and signed by an official in regards to what is going on.

I've been thinking about you, Ladysown, and wondering how it went. Any structure over 100 square feet requires a proper building permit. You could fill your backyard with 10'x10' sheds, tents etc. and still be within your rights, but anything larger needs permits. At least that is my understanding. By-laws are sooooo stupid!

:x WELL................SHOOT..!!! :x

Doesn't that just make ya........MAD.!!

All that worry, All that sickey feelin' in your tummy. For What??!!

I just HATE it..!! When I get all set for a knock-down, drag-out FIGHT.. :evil:

and nothin' happens.... :oops: Leaves ya little weak-kneed don't it??

Nothing to do with your bunnies....But everything to do with your buildings.
I've followed your thread............worried...but didn't post.
""The "quiet" before the storm."" is always nerve-wracking.
I'm sure you were put through the tortures' of #### about what was
going to happen. Now..........it's over. No more worries....
A big sigh of relief upon your part, I'm sure.

Years ago, when I moved my pigeon house to a new location, I had the
very same issues with the city. "Too large of a single structure."

The neighbors didn't want my adoptive sons in their neighborhood.
But there was nothing they could do "about-that"...So, they hacked away
on my oversized outbuilding filing complaint after complaint. I hired an
attorney and was gonna fight 'em. Strictly upon principle because I knew
it was my boys they didn't want.

After another court postponement, I realized it was time to move on and
get my sons away from those bigoted lakjf;asljfa;jkljaljeilajfie...'s.

I'm super glad everything worked out for you, Ladysown,
Rest Well this evening,

Grumpy.

Oh, good! A sigh of relief & a cuss, too, because of all the stress you went through. I wondered the same thing about splitting the tent but would have just done it & then gotten in trouble again. You were very wise to run that by him. Rest well tonight!

Our little city has similar outbuilding size limitations. Can't be 150 square feet or larger. I haven't had any problem with set-backs because all the outbuildings are in the upper yard & away from any residences.

The city building inspector told me they're only really concerned if the buildings are close to any residence. When we were rebuilding our basement entrance, I couldn't make it any larger than the original footprint.

Glad everything went well. I hate it when the authorities come poking around. I'm now gradually putting up board fencing to keep out the nosies. I really like Bob Bennett's idea of disguising your rabbit shed as a plain old garden shed, too. I already hide my beehives inside a little barn.

And Grumpy, we went thru several incidents with our nearest neighbor calling Animal Control when we left for work to complain our dogs were running loose. When AC came, the dogs were locked inside the house. Didn't stop until I let AC know *they* were being used to harass us. AC then told the neighbors they'd be arrested for making a false report next time. Slowed the harassment down considerably.

Glad it work out except the size problem. Thing vary so much from country to country and even within the same Country or State. Best of my knowledge our County requires a permit for anything over 10x10 on a permanent foundations. However if you build it on stilts you can do just about anything you want. A gentlemen I know is building a small church on his land. I was curious what permits he needed. He told me none since it was built on stilts. Seems silly that 2 10x10 are ok but 1 10x20 is not.

I'm glad it all went well.
I have similar restrictions here too, it has to be no higher than 8 feet, and no larger than 10x10 too, and not a permanent structure, though I did sink the post in the ground for the dog kennels. Though it's kind of like the wild west here, and no one wants the city to come poking around on anyone's land here, never know they might find.

Same thing here, under a 100 square feet is fine, I can fill my property with such buildings all I want, anything larger needs a permit. Thats as long as it can be seen, I do have a 10x14 stashed way back in the trees, no permit, but no problems because I do not have neighbors behind me or on that side, and never will. Glad it went well, know the stress was terrible, sure you can figure something out. You know you've had a tough time with your animals being stolen, and now being turned in like this. I'm saying this very gently, maybe its time to think about having a closed rabbitry and not selling to the public, try flying under the radar more than you already are. Bad things are happening to good people, these Animal Rights people lie and twist the truth to hurt breeders and steal their animals. Be careful.

Yeah, fortunately MOST of my rabbits are sold away from home, just a few are sold from the house.
Most I can meet elsewhere which is totally cool. :)

Most of the time I only give out my cell number and email.

Getting things ready for moving things around... will take some work but it'll get done.

He said once the work is done he'll just tell folks there's no need to come back. :)

ckcs":r5oggr1u said:
Glad it work out except the size problem. Thing vary so much from country to country and even within the same Country or State. Best of my knowledge our County requires a permit for anything over 10x10 on a permanent foundations. However if you build it on stilts you can do just about anything you want. A gentlemen I know is building a small church on his land. I was curious what permits he needed. He told me none since it was built on stilts. Seems silly that 2 10x10 are ok but 1 10x20 is not.
We have the same weird rules here. If it is attached to a permanent building, it needs a permit. Of it has a concrete foundation, it needs a permit. So if you build a woodshed and screw it into your house for support, you need to have it inspected, but if you skip the screw you're fine.

ladysown":pqy92t8e said:
I can't have 20 x 10 building up, even if they aren't permanent.

I apparently can have as many 10 x 10 sheds as I want, even side by side, but I can't have 10 x 20 tents up.

:? I don't understand stupid :? If you can't have a 20x10 up the what in the world makes as many 10x10 even side by side ok :?

I need to go back to my dog house. My more sane in there.

Here's one theory on the "10x10 is OK; 10x20 is not" rule.

Pop-ups/canopies can be put up in a back yard in just a few minutes. They cover a 10-foot by 10-foot area. It would be completely stoooopid (even for most bureaucrats...) to require a permit for erecting a pop-up in one's own yard every time one invited people over for a barbecue, kids' party, or other special occasion. Hanging fabric "walls" on it to protect against wind is also fairly common, to judge from what I see at farmers' markets, fiber festivals, and the like.

But when it's a 10x20 being talked about, it's much more likely to be a built structure and not a simple pop-up.

Thus my theory. It may not hold water, but it's at least a start. :)

Can you have a 10' x 20' with a permit, or not at all? You might ask about the fees if so. Permitting isn't usually that expensive, but if you have to have it engineered it gets pricey.

mystang89":1bfyndjj said:
:? I don't understand stupid :? If you can't have a 20x10 up the what in the world makes as many 10x10 even side by side ok :?

Here we are allowed a structure of 120 square feet (10' x 12' or any other configuration). There must be either 8' or 10' (I am unsure of exact distance) between structures.

That said, a lot of people opt to build anyway and ask forgiveness later. ;) As long as the structure is built to code (or better yet overbuilt!) if you get caught the inspector will just sign off on it and have you pay the appropriate fees.

DCM.... that would make sense.

I asked about permits... he said what they do in that case is issue a demolition permit (which is a fine) then they MIGHT issue a building permit.

Latest posts

Back