So my dad wants to use my next litter for meat..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic

Reaction score
Ok, I got a meat doe from some people in the summer, she was bred (they didn't know) & kindled the day they sent the rabbits, she was suppose to go to the butcher shop, but saved herself. Turns out her kits were eaten by a fox according to the people. So I took her home because she needed a home. She was just a pet for the last couple months & still is. I just got a nice flemmie buck and bred her. I was planning on petting the kits out but my dad said ideally he would like to use a couple for meat.

Now, I am breedong French Lops, so this litter won't be used for anything other than pets. So someone, give me tips on how to avoid feeling super guilty and heartless. Like I don't plan on playing with them like I normally would. Do I just feed, water, give treats, give mom nosie rubs and carry on?

I've found that just keeping the mentality that they are food, not pets, keeps any attachment under wraps. Some say that naming them makes you attached, and I suppose that's probably right. I've butchered plenty of "the white rabbit"s or "the gray rabbit"s but I refuse to let Dad take out Rosie or Sage.

Yup, treat them the same, but don't name them. Meat rabbits need love and nosie scratches too!

We named ours, etc. I think I just have an 'off' button in my head. It's also easier when they are now big rabbits and you have cute babies in the nest box again already.

Yeah i agree that naming them is not a good idea if your worried about getting attached.
I name mine but ive been doin this awhile and well I name them things like Pot, Roast, Stew, and Moo Moo LOL :)

Cait, how very inspirational! I think my next meat pen will be filled with Progressive Politicians!

You've cracked my Hubs up, btw! I think he likes you!

Thanks everyone! Of course they will be fed, waterd and cleaned! Not doing so would just be cruel!

I don't think I will name them at all. I will feel too guilty.

Epic,

Of course you'll take good care of them! The thing that I find so satisfying about raising our own meat is that I know it had a good life and was well cared for before ending up on the dinner table. When you buy store bought meat there is no way to know what kind of life it led. I feel that if we choose to eat meat it is far better to make that cradle-to-grave journey together.

OMG! Just had to share the typo I corrected: far better to make that cradle-to-gravee journey together. Not as poignant perhaps, but appropriate, none-the-less!

MamaSheepdog":3enrrxke said:
Epic,

OMG! Just had to share the typo I corrected: far better to make that cradle-to-gravee journey together. Not as poignant perhaps, but appropriate, none-the-less!

Quite the Freudian Slip there, MamaSheepDog!....Let me guess...you like "gravee" don't you? :mrgreen:

ROFL!!! I do so love a good typo! And I'll have you all know that my "gravee" is absolutely sublime, and you'd all be drooling too if you'd had it. So there!

I don't name my little ones because there are just so many of them. I call them all either Sweety, or Baby.

Names are so much easier when they're interchangeable with the new bunnies upcoming each month.

Back