So, I quit smoking today

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gone

Well, yesterday now, but it hasn't been 24 hours yet. I ordered one of those e-cigarette devices a couple of days ago, after a few months of research. It's pretty great, but I'll come back to that.

I've been a terribly addicted, terribly stubborn smoker. I started when I was 11, intermittently, and by 13 I was working my way towards a pack a day. The longest I've ever been able to quit for was 2 months when I was 14 or 15. I'll be 39 in a few months, so that's 26 years of steady smoking. :x I'll be honest here, I respond very badly to being without nicotine. I get severe anxiety, and that addictive compulsion, and a bunch of other symptoms. So, I've just lived with it, even though I don't enjoy it and haven't for a long time. The only aspect of smoking that I enjoyed was the temporary reprieve from that nagging need for another one. It's a real crappy addiction, I mean you don't even get high (or drunk) off it. :lol:

In this context, coming up on 24 hours without a smoke and without any real suffering is mind blowing for me. I think I'll finally be able to do this.

Back to e-cigs/vaping.

I really think this is the single greatest development for people that want to quit smoking. Ever. I won't say it's completely harmless, but it's certainly a huge harm reduction compared to smoking. I found an awful lot of useful information on reddit, in /r/Canadian_ecigarette/ and /r/electronic_cigarette specifically.

I'm still learning the whole process, but if anyone is curious about it or thinking of trying it, I'm happy to answer anything I can. :vape:

For anyone who does know about this stuff, I'm using EVOD batteries with Mini Protank 2's ('cause they have glass tanks) and 1.8-2.2 ohm coils. It looks almost identical to this:

GJ3yf0W.jpg

actually my two kids smoke.. (22 and 25) and they went to this that you are talking about as all their friends did... and they are not smoking anymore... they sure smell better.. lol......you can get different flavours ect. but , there is talk of the government taxes these as they say they are just as addictive as real smokes.. Good for you for doing it ..

I switched to an e-cig a year ago after 40 years and two packs a day. And I have to say I never felt better. You can get different strengths of vapor MC and now I use 0% nicotine in mine. Just the habit of having something in your hand now but still get the taste...

smoking.gif

I am very hopeful that switching from cigarettes to the e-cigarette will bring David considerable health benefits. I was a little apprehensive when he first mentioned it, but that was because I really knew very little about it. I'm one of the fortunate ones who never got hooked on tobacco and I can only imagine how difficult it is to quit.

Congrats MC! Way to go! It's probably best to start AFTER all that work revamping the website. Time for more health and energy for you!!!!

Fingers crossed and good luck to you, Midnight Coder. From all I have read you are undertaking a difficult challange and when you succeed you will be amazed with the improvement in many aspects of your life!

I just thought I'd say congrats! My brother switched to e-cigs a few years ago and has never felt better, the only down side is that you may over dose and become pretty shaky if you don't watch how much you take in. The first couple of weeks my brother was shaky off of it because a puff off the e-cig seemed to be equivalent to more than a few puffs off of a cigarette.
And be aware, people will glare if you do it in public, but second hand vapor has never bothered me or my mother like cigarette smoke does. The only time it has ever made me cough was when I had walking pneumonia and was already prone to it (a vapor cloud drifted to me and he put it away after that) and when I, a nonsmoker, tried a puff out of curiosity and choked on it. :lol:

I'm so happy for you, MidnightCoder. Lots of positive vibes coming your way. I know its hard but you will be so happy you did.
I have been a smoker and a non smoker and I'm happiest as a non smoker. I quit 1 year ago yesterday and I love it. The longest I've smoked was like ten years and the longest I've quit for was 15 years. I know I shouldn't have picked them up again but I was in a ton of pain so I did and of course had to quit again. This time its for good though! Can't afford them. Besides, I buy myself little perks to reward myself for not smoking. The perks stick around a lot longer than a pack of cigs! LOL Best of luck, hang in there, it gets better quick! :)

Thanks all for the encouragement. :) If it keeps up like this, it won't be nearly as hard as I expected. I set up one e-cig with a substantial nic dosage, and another one with very little nicotine, and unobtrusive flavour. I figure this way I can puff away on the weak one as needed without much concern, and still take a dose when I start getting too antsy. I agree with what some of you have said about dosage. You do have to be more careful with e-cigs compared to analog. IDK, I'm experimenting, but no desire to light up anyway. :p

I really appreciate the kind words and anecdotes. :)

I wish they had this available when I quit smoking about 13 years ago. Wow, such a long time ago! I was so addicted. When I tried quitting the first time (I quit for 6 months before I finally quit for good) I thought I was going to die. Literally. I was suicidal. I was so addicted that I was pacing around the house like a caged bear alternating between crying and rageing. Most horrible time in my life.

The second (and final) time I quit smoking I used "beadies" I can't remember if thats how they are spelled. They were a hipping non nicotine cigarette. I was able to do kind of what you're doing now. Smoking is a 2 part habit. One part is obviously the drug, the other part is the action. Over a two week period I was able to get the drug out of my system while still being able to go outside and light up. Then after a couple weeks when the cravings were not quite so bad I was able to quit smoking the hippie smokes. lol

I still crave cigarettes sometimes. I still smoke in my sleep. I think that for me (like you) it was because I smoked during my formative years while brain development was happening. I might never be 100% free from cravings, but I can run now! Okay, I don't choose to run, but I could... Which is more than what I could do when I smoked!

So a BIG serious congrats to you.

MC, that is wonderful that you have quit smoking! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :hooray:

:congratulations:

My father and my husband both quit smoking. With my dad, I had bronchitis every year until he quit. I had it one more time two years later, and never had it after that. Shay said that after he quit, he started noticing that he had all this money. Took him a bit to figure out where it came from. :lol:

I don't know anything about e-cigs, but I'm all for whatever will get you there! You may still be getting nicotine, but you have removed a lot of the more harmful things you take in with cigarettes.

Smoking is not like rabbits -- you will not find a single member here bummed because you are quitting smoking! :p

We're all behind you and cheering for you! :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2:

I quit Jan 9th 2012 using an E-cigarette. No withdrawal symptoms really. cravings passed using a combination of drinking water, the e-cigarette, and some hard candies. I had tried the gums, patch cold turkey and all failed and I was a very miserable scarey person to be around.

The e-cigarette I had none of the bad stuff. I get the occasional craving now, but it passes quickly.

Miss M":2xjvbghn said:
I don't know anything about e-cigs, but I'm all for whatever will get you there! You may still be getting nicotine, but you have removed a lot of the more harmful things you take in with cigarettes.

This is what vaping is really all about. Harm reduction. The vast majority of "juice" you can purchase (or make yourself) consists of four ingredients. The bulk of it is a mixture of glycerin and propylene glycol (both USP grade). That sounds worse than it is, as people tend to associate PG with antifreeze. PG widely used in medicines, including asthma inhalers and to carry medications in nebulizers. They've even used it as an additive to air in hospitals on the premise that it binds bacteria in the air and makes it easier to filter out. Vegetable glycerin is widely used in foods, cosmetics and some medications. We know a lot about both of these substances already.

The other two ingredients are of course nicotine, with varying sources but it's always supposed to be USP grade, and lastly, a flavouring (or two, or three). These are usually obtained as water soluble natural or artificial flavours from established producers, and they're the same flavourings used in food. Here's an example, although some vendors opt for cheaper, artificial flavours too.

Keeping in mind that the juice isn't combusted when it's vapourized, it's easy to see that this process should be much less harmful than conventional smoking.

Miss M":2xjvbghn said:
We're all behind you and cheering for you!

Thanks so much. :) Today went well, and I'm getting used to vaping instead. I think before long my brain will just associate the nic-fit with the e-cig.

Fernie":2xjvbghn said:
I quit Jan 9th 2012 using an E-cigarette. No withdrawal symptoms really...

Aside from cravings, I'm not getting too much either. The overwhelming anxiety and such is absent. Glad to hear these worked for you, too. I had no idea so many people on this site had experience with these things.

Congrats. I switched to e-cigs 4 and a half years ago and haven't smoked sine. Started with Blu, moved to Ego, and that did the trick. I order my refill juice direct form China to save money (running em about 60.00/year to have all I want.) My latest change up is going to a ProTank Mini II, I love the little things, not so bulky as the Protank, and, less costly so I can have three or four full of different flavors at a time.

MidnightCoder":1o9bftz9 said:
The bulk of it is a mixture of glycerin and propylene glycol (both USP grade). That sounds worse than it is, as people tend to associate PG with antifreeze. PG widely used in medicines, including asthma inhalers and to carry medications in nebulizers. They've even used it as an additive to air in hospitals on the premise that it binds bacteria in the air and makes it easier to filter out.
Yes, I've seen the stuff about PG. It's a useful laxative for autistic kids, who have trouble reading their own body signals, and often have trouble with constipation without something like this.

People freak out, "You're giving almost-antifreeze to your kids!" No... ethylene glycol and propylene glycol, as similar as they sound, are two different things. Just like carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are two different things.

(Then they argue that all you have to do is give them more fiber. That works for people who recognize what their bodies are telling them.)

Anyway, I didn't know it was used in inhalers and nebulizers and in airing hospitals. Interesting!

Here's an example, although some vendors opt for cheaper, artificial flavours too.
Carrot cake? :lol: I don't know why, but that one hit me really funny...

Keeping in mind that the juice isn't combusted when it's vapourized, it's easy to see that this process should be much less harmful than conventional smoking.
Okay, I wondered about that. So it's basically just aerosolized, then?

Go, MC! :cheer2:

dayna":1920d3zl said:
I wish they had this available when I quit smoking about 13 years ago. Wow, such a long time ago! I was so addicted. When I tried quitting the first time (I quit for 6 months before I finally quit for good) I thought I was going to die. Literally. I was suicidal. ... Smoking is a 2 part habit. One part is obviously the drug, the other part is the action. Over a two week period I was able to get the drug out of my system while still being able to go outside and light up. Then after a couple weeks when the cravings were not quite so bad I was able to quit smoking the hippie smokes. lol

I still crave cigarettes sometimes. I still smoke in my sleep. I think that for me (like you) it was because I smoked during my formative years while brain development was happening.

I learned to knit in May 2011. I'd been wanting to learn for a very long time. Once I learned, I of course began hanging around with other knitters at "knit nights" (Canadian/UK "knit and knatter"). I was stunned to hear how many of them had turned to knitting as an assist when quitting smoking. For many of them, knitting provided the action part of smoking that Dayna describes: the hands have knitting needles and yarn to contend with. The movement is continuous, making the movements of lighting up/holding the cigarette awkward.

The only other activities I can think of that are as completely incompatible with smoking as knitting is are crochet, hand-washing dishes, and swimming. (Both of my parents were smokers; I gave this a lot of thought before I graduated from high school.)

Dayna may be on to something with her understanding of why it was so very difficult for her to give up cigarettes (and has previously been difficult for MC): both started early in life. The tobacco companies know that they have to "catch" their customers early; that's why they've been "positioning" smoking in PG-13 movies (marketed heavily to movie-goers from 12 to 21). :| Perhaps future adults--today's kids--will have an easier time, because of both the added tools for quitting and the lower % of teens taking up smoking in the first place. I've heard too many co-workers / friends / adults in general suffer when trying to quit or even in succeeding getting nicotine out of their lives to wish it on anyone, either now or in the future. :angry:

MC, If social pressure re. the e-cigarette is too negative/intrusive, can nicotine gum or another technique/tool help tide you over until you're back home?

What a huge, difficult, and wonderful step you've taken. Congratulations! :cheer1: :cheer2:

I started smoking about the same way you did! I had a really rotten older step brother who actually gave me my first cigarette when I was about 6! I started smoking just during the Summer time after 4th grade, and would quit when school started back up. I think it was 9th or 10th grade that I just never quit when school started up! I know I was 15 then. The only times I quit were for two pregnancies and one other time for 6 months using the patch, which oddly was really easy for me. I started back up when DH drove me up a wall later lol.

I quite almost 5 years ago now using an electronic cigarette after 23 years of smoking, plus the intermittent smoking before that! My doctors told me that with the nicotine alone it's basically the equivalent of drinking coffee, because the nicotine is a stimulant. The vapor that people see when you exhale is just that - vapor. It generally has little to no scent and I sometimes will even use it indoors. When we used to go dancing I could "smoke" inside when all the other real smokers had to go outside! Now I use the ultra low nicotine. I rarely drink so this is really my only vice now, such as it is!

Unlike many people, I actually loved smoking - though for health reasons I'm glad I quit. I always smoked outside and was pretty clean about it. I never had that stale cigarette smell because of that. Most people who knew me had no idea that I even smoked unless I told them, even though I was smoking a pack and a half a day! I still enjoy the smell of a cigarette while it's being smoked - I stand next to a friend if they smoked and just breathe it in. Sadly I have no smoker friends currently because the place where we hung out with them shut down. :D

BlueMoods":58gevrhx said:
Congrats. I switched to e-cigs 4 and a half years ago and haven't smoked sine. Started with Blu, moved to Ego, and that did the trick. I order my refill juice direct form China to save money (running em about 60.00/year to have all I want.) My latest change up is going to a ProTank Mini II, I love the little things, not so bulky as the Protank, and, less costly so I can have three or four full of different flavors at a time.

Not to be alarmist, but do be careful with Chinese juice, especially the really cheap stuff. There have been incidents of it containing diethylene glycol. (PDF Warning) If you've found a brand that works for you and you're reasonably sure it doesn't contain any nasty adulterants, you're probably OK. Just wanted to mention (I've been doing a lot of research lately).

Mini Protank II ftw! :D Glass is nice, I don't want to worry about finding plastic tank friendly flavours. If you want to try to save some cash on coils, check this out!

One thing about Blu, and please don't take this as a criticism of you, because it's not. People should just be aware that Blu is owned by a big tobacco corporation. The same companies that have been trying their best to kill us at the most profitable (for them) rate, now want to cash in on our attempts to save ourselves. It's something to be wary of, as the tobacco lobby has a huge influence on government, and in turn, on e-cig regulation/legislation.

That said, it's more important to quit than who you pay for the e-cigs, so anyone in the position of needing to buy into a system like this should do so, as long as they're aware of their options. The offerings so far from big tobacco companies tend to be overpriced, lower quality, and I personally wouldn't trust them not to put additional crap in their juice. Look at the additives they put in tobacco... OK, I don't want to rant so... :lol:

DogCatMom":58gevrhx said:
Dayna may be on to something with her understanding of why it was so very difficult for her to give up cigarettes (and has previously been difficult for MC): both started early in life. The tobacco companies know that they have to "catch" their customers early; that's why they've been "positioning" smoking in PG-13 movies (marketed heavily to movie-goers from 12 to 21). :| Perhaps future adults--today's kids--will have an easier time, because of both the added tools for quitting and the lower % of teens taking up smoking in the first place. I've heard too many co-workers / friends / adults in general suffer when trying to quit or even in succeeding getting nicotine out of their lives to wish it on anyone, either now or in the future. :angry:

This is definitely part of it. Another big part of it is that there are several constituents of tobacco smoke that change the effect of nicotine on the brain. There are at least four MAOIs present in tobacco smoke, and these create their own dependence while also affecting the nicotine effects. What I'm trying to find out now is if combustion is creating or altering these constituents, and if they're present and equally absorbed in chewing tobacco and such.

This is a fascinating development, because this strikes at the heart of the issue many people have with patches and gums not working for them. Without those MAO inhibitors being inhaled concurrently, it's likely that these oral and derma nicotine replacements are simply not the right dosage, or not absorbed fast enough to alleviate the craving. The difference with vaping is twofold. One, the nicotine absorption rate should be similar to tobacco smoke inhalation (I mean the time from inhalation to effect, not the ratio of available nic to absorbed nic), and two, the dosage is variable, so with vaping we can exceed the standardized dosing of patches and gums, to get enough nicotine that it makes up for the synergistic effect of the MAOIs. I need to find citations for this, it's just a pet theory at this point, so take it with a grain of salt.

DogCatMom":58gevrhx said:
MC, If social pressure re. the e-cigarette is too negative/intrusive, can nicotine gum or another technique/tool help tide you over until you're back home?

I haven't had opportunity to vape in public yet. I'm not worried. I generally agree with the popular opinion on the vaping communities I frequent that if you are somewhere that you can't smoke, you should avoid vaping, too. I'm not out to annoy anyone. I would consider most places outdoors fair game though.

Comet007":58gevrhx said:
My doctors told me that with the nicotine alone it's basically the equivalent of drinking coffee, because the nicotine is a stimulant.

I'm seeing a lot of material claiming this. It's probably fairly accurate. Ongoing nicotine use does have some long term cardiovascular effects, and I wouldn't try to call it harmless, but on its own it seems to be much safer than in smoke. It's supposed to be much easier to decrease dose over time when taken on its own, too. I guess I'll find that out over the next several months. :)

I'm so thrilled to find out how many of you have used e-cigs and had success with them! Thanks all for posting your anecdotes, keep them coming. This kind of discussion has the potential to help so many people that could stumble across the thread in future. My own first exposure to the idea of e-cigs was someone's relatively off topic post about them in a thread on another site. He was just so enthusiastic about the progress he was making that I noticed and filed it away to research.

Back