snuffles?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Fan

Reaction score
Sadly, I think the dreaded disease might have struck my rabbitry.
I noticed that my best buck's nose had some clear discharge a few days ago. Now both bucks seem to have clear discharge, though I haven't heard any sneezing/wheezing/etc. All my does are out of range (over 4 feet away) so now I just have to decide what to do with these two bucks.
I am trying not to jump to conclusions as I have been needlessly scared in the past...and I really don't want to cull my best buck. What are some signs that it is pasturella? And how long should I keep them in quarantine before I decide to cull? Is there any possibility it could be something else?

It could be something else,
but quarantine [and don't breed] until it is resolved.. lots of things can cause runny noses,
but if it gets thick and sticky, or they blow it out in strings, -- that is a bad sign.. <br /><br /> -- Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:57 am -- <br /><br /> make sure your hay, and feed is mold free, a little moldy dust -can cause severe issues, and open the door to Pasteurella

Quarantine for sure. How long is up to you. I'd say quarantine until something gets worse or better. Clear snot could be a lot of things, even allergies, although that's not likely with both. Look for environmental causes dust or mold, or even a neighbor burning trash or leaves. I had a fire-happy neighbor once that wreaked some havoc on my bun's noses. Anything that gets them sniffling can open the door to disease, as Michael said. Look for thick white snot for pasteurellosis infection.

Thanks Zass! I am thinking it might be weather related as we have had some abnormally cold nights. Could that be part of the problem?

Mini Lop Fan":1qsllfsl said:
Thanks Zass! I am thinking it might be weather related as we have had some abnormally cold nights. Could that be part of the problem?

Yep, weather can trigger all kinds of stuff in rabbits. Ammonia buildup is another thing to look out for. I find spring to have always been the worst time for disease in my own herd, as the temperature fluctuations seem to be harder on them than just warmth or cold.

Some times it's cheaper to go to the vet than to replace an animal. It's best to decide before hand which animals gets the vet and which gets culled.

Problem is, it is really hard to find a good knowledgeable rabbit vet.

However, it seems as if the second buck is doing fine - no clear snot anymore. The first one still has clear snot, but I have spent some time just being near the cages and I have yet to hear any sneezing.

Back