Snowball Popped!!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvstickbow

Reaction score
Snowball finally popped :D . I bred her back after not getting babies last month and this morning I came out to a squirmy hopping mass of snowball fir. I looked inside and I see eleven healthy babies. Very excited as this is my first litter of rabbits.

Then it occurred to me; Now what do I do?

Attachments

• Smowball's popples.jpeg
    Smowball's popples.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 403
I am very happy and excited. She had all of her babies in the nesting box; no still-borns or any on the wire. I was about to give up on her as she didn't take the last time that she was supposed to be bred.

They are staying pretty warm, course that's probably because my bunnies are spoiled and live in a bunny barn with a heat lamp. I don't like having to mess with freezing water or any of that. Plus since I'm breeding year round I figure that the warmer that I can keep their barn the less I have to feed them just so they can burn calories to stay warm. The babies are over a week old now and some of them are almost half a pound already. It's actually kinda strange but the greyish ones are growing the fastest, followed by the solid blacks. The white's are growing the slowest. Probably jut coincidence but interesting nonetheless.

:congratulations: on the new litter!

What to do: Daily, handle each kit to be sure it has a milk band on it's belly, check to be sure that it is eliminating ...

When eyes start peeking out, start sprinkling some old fashioned oatmeal in the nest. Change out the nesting material for fresh ... don't worry about the fur at this time, a good hay stuffed box is all they need in that regard.

All eyes should be open by day 14 ... this is when you tip the nest box on it's side to encourage them out in the world. Myself, I like to layer the floor of the cage with hay so the babies don't break a leg through the floor wire.

Also provide a lower container of pellets for the babies ... they will want to sit in it and pee in it, but better there than in the j-feeder!

Decide whether to wean on your schedule or on the doe's schedule :p

Latest posts

Back