Sneezing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnerSurvivor

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I could really use some help on a bunny that I have that is sneezing. I bought this rabbit at 8 weeks old from a reputable breeder. I brought her home and put her in Quarantine, Over the course of the next couple weeks I heard her sneeze a few times, Her eyes were clean and her nose was not running she was eating/drinking well and growing at a good rate. I assumed she had some hay dust in her nose or something like that because the sneezing was not often if I spent an hour around her I may or may not of heard her sneeze once or twice depending on the day. Well a couple months later she is still sneezing! it is still not terribly often but I am worried because the doe next to her sneezed a couple times yesterday, The doe next to her appears to be in good health and it could of just been some dust in her nose or something but I would like to know for sure and I figure a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Anyone have any recommendations on what this could be (if anything) and how to get rid of it?

Ps I also have a buck that I bought at the same time as the doe, They rode home together and came from the same breeder. The buck appears in perfect health and I have not heard one sneeze out of him. The barn is very well ventilated and the cages hang from the ceiling 4 ft above the floor so she is definitely in good conditions.

I agree with Dood.
I think rabbits can develop allergies just like people, from exposure to common allergens over time. Pollen from trees, bushes and such can make them sneeze. I know sycamore trees make me sneeze while everything else doesn't. Lol, I know I'm not a rabbit, but it's just showing how random and weird it can be. Who would of thought the leaves of a particular tree would make something sneeze?
Have you tried to hide out and watch her, waiting for a sneeze to try and catch any wetness or boogers? It's real hard to do, they wipe away any snot almost as soon as they shoot them out.

I'd say rabbits are like people and just sneeze occasionally for no apparent reason! LOL

I should have updated this but I forgot about it. The doe that used to occasionally sneeze went into full blown sneezing the doe next to her then also caught it and started sneezing and blowing snot. The buck to the side of the first doe also started sneezing. I am about 99% sure it was pasteurella which really bites because it took me forever to find this trio of Angoras. My mother agreed to take the angoras for the summer so they are isolated from my other rabbits by 10 miles or so. I am hoping to breed these angoras for replacements then cull the original stock and start over :( . Lesson learned if a rabbit even looks at me funny during quarantine cull it instantly before it can become a problem.

Back