sneezing kit clean innards

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
I raise a lot of Rabbits for meat like 30 at a time from fall to spring sometimes more. :bunnyhop: Every once in awhile I hear a dreaded sneeze in my grow out pen. :-x When that happens I schedule camp early for the offender. :dinner: The innards always were clean. The other day it happened again but this kit had white snot. :eek:verreaction: I was like super worried. I moved kit to the early butcher group and white Sony cleared up. :p When I processed the kits innards were perfect. :judges: All the kits livers, lungs everything looked clean. I'm always worried about a sneezer. I had a few rabbits that I let get to 5-6 months as they were potential keeppers. One did not make it. :fryegg: Clean innards. I love butcher day because I get qonfirmation of my herds health. Any thoughts on this.

I've processed sneezers with clean lungs and non sneezers with bad lungs. :shrug:

My only guess is that sometimes the "P" or whatever else it might be manifests just in the sinuses, and in other cases settles in the lungs. In advanced cases I would expect to see it in both places.

I have never had the stomach to dissect the head of a sneezer to examine the sinuses... but perhaps I will next time.

MamaSheepdog":3bojrlnv said:
I've processed sneezers with clean lungs and non sneezers with bad lungs. :shrug:

My only guess is that sometimes the "P" or whatever else it might be manifests just in the sinuses, and in other cases settles in the lungs. In advanced cases I would expect to see it in both places.

I have never had the stomach to dissect the head of a sneezer to examine the sinuses... but perhaps I will next time.

I never could figure out how to get in there to have a good look without destroying the nasal tissue. If you come up with a good way, could you show us plz?

If I get another white snot kit I'll give it a try. Never had a white snit before hopefully won't. It was the runt hopefully that was a factor.

Schipperkesue":1vrdx7i0 said:
My understanding of Pasteurella is it usually sticks to the upper respiratory area and does not affect the rest of the rabbit.

It most common in the upper respiratory tract, can also cause pneumonia or settle into the lower respiratory tract and cause abcesses in the lungs. It can also become systemic and cause abcsses in the body itself, in the uterus, in several other places too.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/exotic_ ... bbits.html

I've done it, I took rabbits for dissection in science classes for the past three years. It is hard to cut the skull cleanly and leave anything their for you to see. A good way is to cut through the roof of the mouth, and crack the skull in half.

That said, I have been quite frustrated with the last round of necropsies, and I had kits and adults dying, but no internal abnormalities. Is there an on line site for pictures of
internal rabbit issues? I figure I'm missing something.

Back