Sneezing blood??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
What in the world is this? I have dividers up between all my rabbits and this AM I noticed what appears to be blood sprayed outwards from the cage and onto a cardboard divider?

It's a doe with a litter.

be03db6c-0172-49a7-88d0-d9c86c4c253b_zpsb7f54f3a.jpg

IMG_5156_zps378827f7.jpg

Buck or doe? And are you sure it is blood and not just red urine? Bucks do spray sometimes, some more than others and red urine is common, though scary if you have never seen it before. It is not a matter for concern.

MaggieJ":3ad2fewx said:
Buck or doe? And are you sure it is blood and not just red urine? Bucks do spray sometimes, some more than others and red urine is common, though scary if you have never seen it before. It is not a matter for concern.

I hope it might only be urine! Though it's a doe in the cage and it landed on either side of her cage. There's a buck to her right but he's completely sealed off.

Try spreading a newspaper under the cage to catch the urine so you can determine the colour. I also suggest taking a thorough look at the rabbit's vulva to make sure there is no sign of blood or infection.

It is possible that she sneezed and broke a tiny capillary in her nose. It doesn't look to me to be more than a few drops and if that is so, I wouldn't worry unduly but rather just keep a close eye on her.

I would check her nails. I've had a doe break a nail off on the bottom wire before, and when I went out in the morning to feed it looked like someone had committed a large scale massacre in her hutch. There was blood sprayed everywhere! Scared the heck out of me, but turned out to just be she broke a nail and was shaking her paw.

Hydrogen peroxide will foam on contact with blood. I don't know if it will do the same with urine- but you could test it on bunny pee to see if it does.

If it is blood, I agree that it is either from a toenail or a broken capillary in her nose, either of which is no big concern. I had "mystery spatter" in one of my doe cages a few months ago. I never could find the cause either, and it never reoccurred.

I looked the doe all over today and can't find anything that would be bleeding...nails are fine. Perhaps it was just a burst capillary! I'll update if I figure out what it is :bunnyhop:

Hopefully, that's all it was. :clover:

Back to the urine, though... when we still had the visqueen up on the front of the rabbitry, we came home one day to what looked like a crime scene. Blood spatter everywhere. Finally realized it was the buck, who had sprayed blood-red urine everywhere, including the inside of the visqueen about 5 - 6 feet away. :?

keep a check on the inside front paws of the rabbit, if you find any discolor or crusty fur, then more action is needed. Listen to her to see if any noise is made when breathing, -- keep urine and urine soaked manure cleaned up, as ammonia will inflame the rabbit respiratory system. ---Summer is a hard time for rabbits---
and hopefully ,it is just urine...

Latest posts

Back