Smutty orange or what?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
This is my 5 month old Broken Orange Holland Lop doe, she's getting color around her hindquarter, base of ears and nose.
Is she just real smutty or a tri?

Sometimes it looks like she has faint black spots on her hindquarter ( a lot easier to see in life...pictures don't show it too well)

Attachments

• DSC_5736.jpg
    DSC_5736.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,514
  • DSC_5742.jpg
    DSC_5742.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,514
  • DSC_5772.jpg
    DSC_5772.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,514
Dam's side:
Dam is a a broken tort with a black spot on her ear - Not sure what kind of tort she is, black or what... Picture of her here: http://melandmitcheesbunnies.weebly.com ... 3_orig.jpg

Granddam: Lilac Tort ( not exactly sure if she was, can provide a picture of her)
Grandsire: Broken Seal
Greats are: Black, Black Tort, Seal, Broken Sable Point

Sire's side:
Sire: Tricolor
Grandsire: Harlequin
Granddam: Broken Black Tort
Greats are: Tricolor, Lilac Tort (same Lilac Tort that is mentioned above) Broken Seal (same as above) Broken Black Tort

I don't think the dam is a broken tort, I think she looks like a harlequized chestnut with low rufus

I think this kit is the same but with more rufus

Okay, so genetically what is that? What colors would she give, etc?

Here's a picture of the "lilac tort" that's mentioned...what exactly is she?

Attachments

• Cedar Point Shana-Lynn.jpg
    Cedar Point Shana-Lynn.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,474
Could you blow into the coat on the kit in questions and get a picture?

I do think the granddam is a tort and isn't seal a self color? If so the dam can only be a broken tort. Perhaps harliquinized.

This would mean that the kit in question can't be a chestnut.

True

But the dam "Shaelynn" does look harlequin and there are no harlis in her pedigree :shrug:

Chestnut harli = A_ B_ C_ D_Eej ENen

But you think torted harli = aa bb C_ D_ ej e ENen

maybe Shaelynn is chocolate agouti harli :D = A_ bb C_ D_ Eej ENen

If this kit is a tri then her genotype is A_ B_ C_ D_ eje ENen

Cedar Point Rabbitry":3028rids said:
Wow, any way to find out for sure what she is?

@alforddm, I'll try get a picture like that tomorrow :)

Pictures of the coat rings will help but even then may not be definitive. It's just something that happens from time to time where you can't pinpoint exactly an animal's color. The problem is modifiers that change the way animals look so that phenotypes overlap somewhat. When that happens the only thing you can do is test breedings to see what they throw. For example you can breed this one to a known (ie very obvious) tort and if she throws a chestnut you know she has to be chestnut. If she has only torts or reds well then there is a good chance she's a lightly marked red or tri.

In some species there genetic testing is available but even though many of the mutations in rabbits have been located, testing has never been offered. I think that most of the test labs feel (and they may be correct) that people won't pay $25 for a test on a $25 dollar rabbit.

Okay.
I have a black tort buck out of primarily tort lines. Will try breeding them when (if, lol) she gets big enough. Only 3lbs at 5 and a bit months. Her sister is 2.5lbs - she's a lightly marked tri, a lot lighter orange then this girl.

Okay, so here's her fur parted...I don't see any rings really, besides the light-to-dark shading.

And on a side note, what color tort is this kit? It's out of a solid tort doe & broken black buck.
The doe's sire is a harlequin, dam is a broken black tort. The doe is supposed to be a black tort, but she's really light.

It looks lighter in life, the picture made it darker...black tort again, but real light?

Attachments

• DSC_5906.jpg
    DSC_5906.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,418
  • DSC_5914.jpg
    DSC_5914.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,419
  • DSC_5901.jpg
    DSC_5901.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,419
  • DSC_5899.jpg
    DSC_5899.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,419
Hummm :?

I never checked the ring pattern on my harli chestnuts, I do have some harli chinchillas and will check them out after 7

However, she is starting to look more like an orange or minimally marked tri colour to me ( A_ B_ C_ D_ eje ENen) ;)

Could you take picture of one of the darker spots ring colour?

I guess we'll have to wait and see :shrug:

The newborn is a black tort

Could it just be a patchy moult that is coming in darker over all? The orange in the center of the parting shot looks like a patch of new growth, and the darker spots I can make out seem to be almost like holes looking into a darker layer below the surface coat.

I'll try :)

__________ Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:30 am __________

Will try get pictures soon! It's been rainy and wet and busy here :) <br /><br /> __________ Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:14 pm __________ <br /><br /> Finally! Here are some more pictures of her.

Attachments

• DSC_7432.jpg
    DSC_7432.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,359
  • DSC_7433.jpg
    DSC_7433.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,359
  • DSC_7438.jpg
    DSC_7438.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,359
That certainly looks black so she must be a broken harlequin AKA Tri colour but with such poor markings I would not want her in my breeding program

Ideally the pattern should be a more even mix of orange and black and with distinct spots

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,355
depends on what you want to breed her FOR.

So if you have a broken black that carries tri, she could be used with him.
if you want to introduce tri to a program she might not be your best choice.

If you want to breed reds...seriously.. KEEP THAT DARK RED!!!!!! Seriously, too many tricolours have a really washed out red to their coat. So keeping the deep red MAY prove beneficial to your program.

Thanks for the tips!
I'm hoping to breed her to tris and a harlequin, see what I get. IF she gets big enough, I'll breed her to a tort, to see what she carries.
And I do have a very nice broken black buck but I don't know his background.

She's just 3lbs at 6 months old. Tiny girl :)

Latest posts

Back