Smoke Pearl?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
I just got this doe from a good friend. She got this doe from the original breeder whom said she was a smoke pearl. The first issue is, her eye color is brown, no mistaking it. This doe, if a real smoke, is for a side color project, trying to get more smokes. I have my Siamese Sable buck (not sure if he carries dilute or not) to breed her to. I am only going off of pics from the internet but she doesn't really look like a smoke.. more like a blue tort? I could be wrong but I'll see what you guys think!

Her sire is a blue tort whom is out of mostly torts with one sable point in the pedigree
Her dam is a seal whom is out of a Frosty and Chinchilla with an opal, sable point and another chin in 3rd generation

Here she is:

7779756_orig.jpg

6972618_orig.jpg

2985661_orig.jpg

5878994_orig.jpg

4467252_orig.jpg

1994935_orig.jpg

2046702_orig.jpg

6702238_orig.jpg

55486_orig.jpg

Thanks!

It's a very tough call with the pictures and being a broken doesn't help :(

My first impression is a darker blue sable and not a blue tort :shrug:

Even if she is a blue tort she must carry sable, himi or REW from her mother so crossed to a siamese sable buck should produce some sables who will carry blue :) and a buck crossed to mom or a sister should get smoke pearls

Looks a lot like my buck, his pedigree papers show him as Steel Blue, silver tipped.
His site was broken chestnut agouti, his dam was steel blue silver tipped.

Here is a pic of him.
I will say he doesn't look AS dark in person as he dors in the pic.

Attachments

• 01717_26nPrh4DCeM_600x450.jpg
    01717_26nPrh4DCeM_600x450.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 400
Thanks everyone :) I think she may indeed be a smoke pearl, no ticking in her fur, no tan color to indicate blue tort. I just got her bred yesterday with my Siamese Sable buck so hopefully the kits will help identify moms color ^_^

DBA":2tt8b37n said:
Looks a lot like my buck, his pedigree papers show him as Steel Blue, silver tipped.
His site was broken chestnut agouti, his dam was steel blue silver tipped.

Here is a pic of him.
I will say he doesn't look AS dark in person as he dors in the pic.

I swear, I'm going to go nuts on the gray color stuff. Your buck looks like my buck, who (we recently decided) is a 'broken blue chinchilla'... or not. Just a couple of quick questions for you, are the insides of his ears light or dark? What color are his eyes?

This is my boy
IMAG0046_30.jpg
IMAG0042_30.jpg <br /><br /> __________ Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:37 pm __________ <br /><br /> You can see how much different lighting affects his color. Sometimes it looks like there is a tan cast to it (top) other times not (bottom) :p

His eyes are dark, I think black. The insides of his ears are very light.
Your buck is very nice looking.

that buck does not look like a blue chin. Blow into his coat and see if there are rings.

The original doe looks like a smoke pearl to me. Not quite blue, and not quite anything else. :)

Ok. Finally did see rings in the coat. That settles it. He's a broken blue agouti. Right?? o.0

In some places I don't see a 'ring', I see fur that's dark at the bottom and gradually lighter to the white tip.
Other places, I do see the 'agouti' rings.

i find that curious.

A blue chin looks completely different. A blue chin looks...if you can imagine it.. like a chestnut agouti.. just replacing the brown/black with a BLUE/grey colour.

this rabbit (the buck) doesn't look like that.

I wonder if he just has an odd ball coat... (which you can get when colours are mixed).. genetics being the fine things that they are.... I'm just curious.

And I am so NOT a colour or genetics expert....

Back